What's new

Interview Interview with Twilight Time: Nick Redman on who they are, their business model and more. (1 Viewer)

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Listen to chapter 11 on the DVD for a fair appraisal by the Peckinpah Posse of Amfitheatrof's score. Twilight Time might want to consider releasing Mike Siegel's Sam Peckinpah: The Passion and the Poetry on Blu-ray. An excerpt is included on the Major Dundee DVD, but we are all still waiting for the full-length documentary in region A / 1. Just a suggestion ....

SeanAx

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean Axmaker
Thank you for that superb interview. Whether or not this is *the* future of DVD/Blu-ray, it is undeniably *a* future for home video and an important model in the release of high quality physical media. He clearly can't please everyone with Twilight Time ("it's too expensive," "there are no supplements," "why can't I buy this as Wal-Mart?") but he is stepping up to make films he values available in good-quality releases for other people who also value them.

I also appreciate his persepctive on the market. Agree or not, he has a very clear-eyed understanding of the business of home video and it has guided his foray into the market.

And if I may add to the Cy Enfield chorus, his American noirs "The Underworld Story" (1950) and "The Sound of Fury" (aka "Try and Get Me") (1950) are both very interesting and I would love to see them (along with "Hell Drivers") on DVD some day.

flagbrothers

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Perry
I hope we can get VIOLENT SATURDAY released in blue ray given that there is no 16x9 enhancement on the dvd.

Wade Sowers

Second Unit
Real Name
Wade Sowers
SeanAx - Enfield's THE UNDERWORLD STORY is out on MOD from the Warner Archieve in a fine looking print. THE SOUND OF FURY/TRY AND GET ME was mentioed last year at a Seattle film noir festival as in line for a restoration by the Film Noir Foundation. Regarding the Twilight Time interview (which was excellent), if the future is several boutigue labels contracting with studios to release their favorite movies on Blu-ray, I might end up getting a lot more of what I would really like made available once the studio's need to sell thousands of copies of everything they release is taken away. I suspect something like RAPTURE would sit in the vault until Doomsday under the system in place since the early days of DVD.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I think that we know that is not true and 3000 is the limit and FRIGHT NIGHT is sold out but this guy has five and he bought five to re-sell at a premium. Oh well that is private enterprise and what the market will bare.
And he might also take a bath on them, such is the nature of the spec market. The main thing is that TT is sold out, which is good for them. Thanks for the interview, it is good to hear the perspective of a company like this.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
SeanAx said:
And if I may add to the Cy Enfield chorus, his American noirs "The Underworld Story" (1950) and "The Sound of Fury" (aka "Try and Get Me") (1950) are both very interesting and I would love to see them (along with "Hell Drivers") on DVD some day.
Yes to more Endfield! HELL DRIVERS is cheaply and readily available on a double disc UK set that is loaded with extras. SOUND OF FURY is being restored by the Film Noir Foundation and is controlled by Paramount. I was blown away by this film when I viewed it earlier this year on Netflix Instant.

Bob Black

Stunt Coordinator
Well I, for one, think this scenario sucks! Fright Night is one of my favorite horror films and I was totally unaware of this release until it was already sold out. Now I have to wait a minimum of three years or pay over $100 on ebay in order to obtain a copy. A run of merely 3000 units for a movie with so many fans is ridiculous. I have bought many limited editions throughout the years on both LD and DVD from companies like Anchor Bay and Elite Entertainment, but there was NEVER an issue of getting a copy because they would sell numbered copies typically around 10,000 units. And the owner of Twilight Time makes statements about how this release was highly publicized...how so? I haven't visited this site in sometime, and I just saw the review on highdefdigest (which I also don't frequent that often). Also, I never even heard of the distributor site which is the only outlet to purchase the movie. With all the foreign releases and region-locked versions on the market, it's difficult to even determine what movies are coming out where sometimes. I am on bluray.com multiple times daily, and I never saw an article about this release nor its extremely limited availability. Could Sony release a version overseas within the three year period, or is this movie now simply gone from existence? Does Twilight have any possibility of a second run due to the overwhelming demand?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Bob Black said:
Now I have to wait a minimum of three years or pay over $100 on ebay in order to obtain a copy.
I think the current prices might be due to the people who missed it and are now willing paying anything to get a copy. My unsolicited advice is to wait a couple months and see if the prices drop down a little. I'm not saying that you'll see it for $35 ever again but I don't think the $100 prices are going to last.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Bob Black

I am on bluray.com multiple times daily, and I never saw an article about this release nor its extremely limited availability.

Blu-ray.com had several write-ups about the Sony/Twilight Time deal. Here is a link to the original announcement back in August and gives the Fright Night release date. Along with other titles.

[url=http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=7233]http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=7233

Considering they sold all their copies, I would say that the publicity was pretty good.

Bob Black

Stunt Coordinator
ahollis said:
Blu-ray.com had several write-ups about the Sony/Twilight Time deal.  Here is a link to the original announcement back in August and gives the Fright Night release date.  Along with other titles. http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=7233 Considering they sold all their copies, I would say that the publicity was pretty good. 
Sure, now I've searched and found multiple articles. But show me another release on BD that required immediate purchase due to such a miniscule availability. It isn't tough to sell 3000 copies of a movie that could probably sell 40,000 in a year. This is arguably the best horror / comedy EVER--even better than the Lost Boys. Re-Animator might be the only movie that I would anticipate this much from the same genre. The situation just stinks for fans of this movie, and there are obviously many. Again, I have been buying limited edition movies for decades on multiple formats and have never been relegated to one obscure retailer. The whole situation is ridiculous. I obviously have the "sour grapes" thing going, but this distribution deal has made it impossible for me to get one of my favorite movies without paying a preposterous amount on the secondary market. I would have even bought Mysterious Island as I am a fan of Harryhausen...but I'm reluctant to do business with this company now. I love companies like Criterion that offer stupendous releases and take pride in their products. I also loved Elite Entertainment and their excellent horror releases on DVD back in the day. I owned the limited edition Phantasm set on LD with the gold-plated audio CD as well as all the L.E Treasures Collection from Disney. I am no stranger to limited edition sets. But this arrangement makes it impossible for the many rabid fans of such a film. 3,000 is probably more than enough copies for the other obscure titles they've licensed, but not Fright Night.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
ahollis said:
Blu-ray.com had several write-ups about the Sony/Twilight Time deal. Here is a link to the original announcement back in August and gives the Fright Night release date. Along with other titles. http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=7233 Considering they sold all their copies, I would say that the publicity was pretty good.
And they have a thread in the forums that has been posted in for weeks, if not longer. Mostly people bitching that it cost to much. But this thread has been a big one. Always at the top with new posts, even now. May i recommend Mr. Black...sign up with Screen Archives to receive e mails from them. Sorry it will not help this time, but you never know what they will release in the future.

Bob Black

Stunt Coordinator
RickER said:
And they have a thread in the forums that has been posted in for weeks, if not longer. Mostly people bitching that it cost to much. But this thread has been a big one. Always at the top with new posts, even now. May i recommend Mr. Black...sign up with Screen Archives to receive e mails from them. Sorry it will not help this time, but you never know what they will release in the future.
I did sign up and I also joined their facebook page. But like you said, it's a moot point now. The chances of their licensing another movie that will be a must-own for me is probably small at this point. I won't bitch about the price, though $40 for a catalog title in this day & age are unusual. I understand the economics involved and clearly see why the price needs to be higher than the norm, and I certainly would have paid it without a gripe. It's the ridiculous 3-year window combined with the ridiculously low production run that I don't like. Essentially they've restricted this movie from tens of thousands of fans that would have purchased it and we have no recourse. It doesn't even look like Sony will be able to release this in another region.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Bob Black said:
I did sign up and I also joined their facebook page. But like you said, it's a moot point now. The chances of their licensing another movie that will be a must-own for me is probably small at this point. I won't bitch about the price, though $40 for a catalog title in this day & age are unusual. I understand the economics involved and clearly see why the price needs to be higher than the norm, and I certainly would have paid it without a gripe. It's the ridiculous 3-year window combined with the ridiculously low production run that I don't like. Essentially they've restricted this movie from tens of thousands of fans that would have purchased it and we have no recourse. It doesn't even look like Sony will be able to release this in another region.
Read the interview with Mr. Redman, Bob. He says that Twilight Time's deals with Fox and Sony only apply to the U.S. home video divisions of those studios. They have no control over what their overseas branches might release. There's definitely a possibility that FRIGHT NIGHT might appear on a European Sony Blu-ray. In the meantime you can download the film in HD via iTunes and a few other similar services.

Bob Black

Stunt Coordinator
Jon Hertzberg said:
Read the interview with Mr. Redman, Bob. He says that Twilight Time's deals with Fox and Sony only apply to the U.S. home video divisions of those studios. They have no control over what their overseas branches might release. There's definitely a possibility that FRIGHT NIGHT might appear on a European Sony Blu-ray. In the meantime you can download the film in HD via iTunes and a few other similar services.
I won't download 'cause I'm a collector. But that's good news on the European front. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll keep my eyes open from now on...

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Bob Black

Sure, now I've searched and found multiple articles. But show me another release on BD that required immediate purchase due to such a miniscule availability. It isn't tough to sell 3000 copies of a movie that could probably sell 40,000 in a year. This is arguably the best horror / comedy EVER--even better than the Lost Boys. Re-Animator might be the only movie that I would anticipate this much from the same genre. The situation just stinks for fans of this movie, and there are obviously many. Again, I have been buying limited edition movies for decades on multiple formats and have never been relegated to one obscure retailer. The whole situation is ridiculous. I obviously have the "sour grapes" thing going, but this distribution deal has made it impossible for me to get one of my favorite movies without paying a preposterous amount on the secondary market. I would have even bought Mysterious Island as I am a fan of Harryhausen...but I'm reluctant to do business with this company now. I love companies like Criterion that offer stupendous releases and take pride in their products. I also loved Elite Entertainment and their excellent horror releases on DVD back in the day. I owned the limited edition Phantasm set on LD with the gold-plated audio CD as well as all the L.E Treasures Collection from Disney. I am no stranger to limited edition sets. But this arrangement makes it impossible for the many rabid fans of such a film. 3,000 is probably more than enough copies for the other obscure titles they've licensed, but not Fright Night.

We need to remember that it was Sony who did not think the title would sell or they would not have licensed it to Twilight and either released it themselves or allow Image to do so.

Any displeasure should really be focused on Sony and not Twilight Time. Sony was aware of their business plan and thought that is the route to go along with the other titles that will be released this in the upcoming months. Mysterious Island was thought by many to be a quick sell out as was The Egyptian and stock is still available for both. If you want MI, then by all means get it, for it is a great transfer and when it sells out sometime early next year you will again be without.

I did not order Fright Night, for as much I enjoy the film, I did not think it was worth the upgrade, but I learned a valuable lesson from this, if I want a title, pre-order.

This process for the sale of vintage titles will do nothing but increase. You, myself, and others will have to stay abreast on titles through this forum and other web sites. I have learned to visit SAE, Digital Bits, Classic Flix, and DVD Drive-in on an almost daily basis to stay in tune with what is being released. While I follow Blu-ray.com I find that they are more in tuned to the European release of vintage American films, as they should since that is their niche.

Bob Black

Stunt Coordinator
ahollis said:
We need to remember that it was Sony who did not think the title would sell or they would not have licensed it to Twilight and either released it themselves or allow Image to do so.  Any displeasure should really be focused on Sony and not Twilight Time.  Sony was aware of their business plan and thought that is the route to go along with the other titles that will be released this in the upcoming months.  Mysterious Island was thought by many to be a quick sell out as was The Egyptian and stock is still available for both.  If you want MI, then by all means get it, for it is a great transfer and when it sells out sometime early next year you will again be without.   I did not order Fright Night, for as much I enjoy the film, I did not think it was worth the upgrade, but I learned a valuable lesson from this, if I want a title, pre-order.  This process for the sale of vintage titles will do nothing by increase.  You, myself, and others will have to stay abreast on titles through this forum and other web sites.  I have learned to visit SAE, Digital Bits, Classic Flix, and DVD Drive-in on an almost daily basis to stay in tune with what is being released.  While I follow Blu-ray.com I find that they are more in tuned to the European release of vintage American films, as they should since that is their niche. 
Well we surely don't know the specifics behind these decisions. Perhaps Twilight negotiated this release in an agreement to take other less-stellar releases which would clearly not sell as well. I can't imagine Sony is that obtuse to not understand the interest in Fright Night...especially on the heels of the remake. Again, I don't mind exclusive licensing agreements from companies like Criterion, Anchor Bay, Image, Elite, etc...just don't release a ridiculously small amount so the fans get screwed.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Bob Black said:
Well we surely don't know the specifics behind these decisions. Perhaps Twilight negotiated this release in an agreement to take other less-stellar releases which would clearly not sell as well. I can't imagine Sony is that obtuse to not understand the interest in Fright Night...especially on the heels of the remake. Again, I don't mind exclusive licensing agreements from companies like Criterion, Anchor Bay, Image, Elite, etc...just don't release a ridiculously small amount so the fans get screwed.
Again, read the interview, Bob. It explains a lot in terms of the decision-making on Sony's part. They had no interest in releasing the title themselves and most assuredly crunched plenty of figures to see what night have made it feasible for them to have released it themselves...they certainly would have had to produce and sell a lot more than 3000 units to make it worth their while. All of these discussions have been going on non-stop on this forum and every other major movie / DVD forum for the last couple of months. There has been plenty of nonsense spewed, but there have also been a good number of informative posts from those who work in the industry and know of what they speak, including several on this forum. Sorry you missed out, but I can't say this has exactly been under the radar for anyone who frequents HTF, Blu-ray.com Hi-Def Digest, DVD Talk, DVD Drive-In, AVManiacs, MHVF, AVS, etc...I'm sure I've missed a few sites. :) Bottom line: the film was on sale, including pre-order time, for about 5 weeks before it sold out.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Bob Black said:
Perhaps Twilight negotiated this release in an agreement to take other less-stellar releases which would clearly not sell as well.
Sony approached Twilight Time about FRIGHT NIGHT, according to Nick Redman. It was not a title that Twilight Time initially saw as fitting their model, but they considered after Sony came to them. This is all in the interview.

bugsy-pal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
Bob Black said:
I tend to agree with you Bob... I think the numbers aren't quite right here. Still, good luck to them for selling out on 'Fright Night' - I suspect this will help their overall marketing of other titles, as people will be eager to pr-order titles if they are thinking they might not be around for long. But it's a double-edged sword - it makes owning some of the classics in HD more of an elitist activity, in that you have to be following Twilight Time closely and prepared to pay a high price for the films. I get the arguments about the need to charge higher prices, and welcome seeing films that otherwise might not get a HD release. But I can't accept Mr Redman's opinion that the whole market for pressed bluray disc is awry, and that prices are too low. I think bluray is making good inroads in a tough market overall, and is reaching more people because the big labels are putting out stuff that is close to current DVD pricing. If the prices were kept higher, then I doubt the format would take off. Look at what happened to DVD-A and SACD - the labels did a pathetic job of promoting it, Sony was greedy (with SACD) and so the opportunity to have HD-audio as a standard for home music was lost. Now SACD is an expensive niche product for discerning audiophiles with plenty of money. I guess we'll have to accept that this is the way things are going. But I think that pressed discs have plenty of life left in them yet and all of the people declaring DVD and Bluray dead formats are creating a self-fulfilling prophecy by promoting inferior technologies like compressed downloading/streaming of films.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
The bottom has fallen out of the market for classic films (yes films from the 80's are now considered classics). They just aren't selling like they used to. If you've looked at the store shelves lately, you'll see that if it wasn't released in the last 5 or 10 years, you probably aren't going to find it unless its a huge title like Gone With the Wind. I really don't think Fright Night is any different. Yes 3000 titles sold out quickly, and maybe they should have contracted for something like 10,000, but if a studio pressed released this movie, as stated in the interview, they would have to produce as many as 200,000 copies. I just don't think there is a market for that kind of sales for this title, and Sony doesn't seem to think so either. Those days are gone. Frankly those of us who are collectors of these kinds of films are going to have to get used to the idea that if we want these films, we are going to have to work a little harder to be aware of whats out there. The traditional outlets are just not going to serve us anymore. I check Screen Archive Entertainment and the Warner Archive all the time to see whats new and whats coming. Interestingly it was announced a few weeks ago that most major retailers will stop carrying CDs in 2012. I suspect that DVDs are just a few years behind them. Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks