What's new

Interview Interview with Twilight Time: Nick Redman on who they are, their business model and more. (1 Viewer)

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2006
Messages
5,510
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Adam Gregorich said:
Wow.  Thats sad.  I can see the Dr Office that Doug posted about, but a film class?  
My film school experience was similar. But to be fair this was in the early 1980's when many of these films were not available on home video. There were a lot of films that I knew about, but had never had the opportunity to see, however I knew and had seen MANY more films than the others in my classes. However my family watched old movies on TV, so I grew up being exposed to them. To be honest I don't blame a 20 year old in college for not having seen a whole lot of classic films. You almost have to know about some films to seek them out, and if your parents haven't exposed you too them, how would you know what you're missing. I was gratified over the new years weekend, to discover a new (new to me anyway) network on one of the over the air digital sub channels, called ThisTV.. Over the weekend they ran a marathon of Marx Brothers and Bob Hope movies. Their primary regular programing is classic films from the MGM library. I did some reading, and apparently the network is doing fairly well, so its seem SOMEONE out there is interested. Doug
 

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2000
Messages
6,205
Great interview. What Twilight Time is doing is the only hope to eventually see many titles that would otherwise never see the light of day. Hopefully, it spreads to the other studios. I am not sure I fully agree with them on the idea that downlading is going to overtake Blu-ray so soon. The price and infrastructure isn't anywhere in place for that to happen for a long, long time, not to mention how so many people still prefer physical media as a preference - and downloading 4K movies is even way further out.
 

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Joined
Jan 7, 2011
Messages
1,149
Real Name
Sarah
Originally Posted by John Hodson


Sarah; the HTF has a very useful R2 DVD thread [url=http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/298833/pal-and-other-region-dvd-announcements-reviews]here.


Home Video Sales in the UK seem to be doing very well:



Surge in Christmas video sales boosted by British talent brings 2011 to a more cheerful end
04 January 2012: Physical video entertainment sales in December were up 8.4% in value to £473.3 million on the same period last year, as highly anticipated hit titles were released in time for the gifting season, according to the British Video Association. Christmas is traditionally the most important time of year for video sales and in 2011 December represented 23% of the year’s total physical sales, the best performance since December 2003, when it represented 23.1%.
http://www.bva.org.uk/news-press-releases/surge-christmas-video-sales-boosted-british-talent-brings-2011-more-cheerful-end
 

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2006
Messages
5,510
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Dave H said:
Great interview. What Twilight Time is doing is the only hope to eventually see many titles that would otherwise never see the light of day. Hopefully, it spreads to the other studios. I am not sure I fully agree with them on the idea that downlading is going to overtake Blu-ray so soon. The price and infrastructure isn't anywhere in place for that to happen for a long, long time, not to mention how so many people still prefer physical media as a preference - and downloading 4K movies is even way further out.
I think 4K in the home is not very likely. Doug
 

ShowsOn

Second Unit
Joined
Mar 21, 2011
Messages
253
Real Name
Simon Howson
Douglas Monce said:
I think 4K in the home is not very likely. Doug
Yeah, and I think sound films are a passing fad. More seriously. Something Twilight Time should consider doing. They should try to arrange Blu-ray releases of some of Warner Archive's most successful remastered titles.
 

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2004
Messages
3,527
Real Name
Richard W
ShowsOn said:
More seriously. Something Twilight Time should consider doing. They should try to arrange Blu-ray releases of some of Warner Archive's most successful remastered titles.
Blu-ray releases of Warner Archives most successful remastered titles? How about Blu-ray releases of Warner Home Video's successful remastered titles? Twilight Time could take the same 4K transfer of The Searchers (1956) and correct the flagrantly mistimed color. Put the gamma and color in accord with the IB Tech reference print instead of ignoring it. Twilight Time could pair the original theatrical release of Pat Garrett and Billy the KId (1973) with the director's workprint, reinstate the missing scene into the workprint, and release that on Blu-ray. All Peckinpah fans would appreciate it.
 

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2000
Messages
12,449
Location
Sonora Norte
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce

I think 4K in the home is not very likely.
Doug

I disagree. After pushing 3D as the "next big thing", display manufacturers will need a new technology to convince people they need to buy new TVs. 4K is the logical technology to drive those future sales. That would be my guess anyway.
 

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2007
Messages
8,904
Location
New Orleans
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Richard--W


Blu-ray releases of Warner Archives most successful remastered titles?
How about Blu-ray releases of Warner Home Video's successful remastered titles?
Twilight Time could take the same 4K transfer of The Searchers (1956) and correct the flagrantly mistimed color. Put the gamma and color in accord with the IB Tech reference print instead of ignoring it. Twilight Time could pair the original theatrical release of Pat Garrett and Billy the KId (1973) with the director's work print, reinstate the missing scene into the workprint, and release that on Blu-ray. All Peckinpah fans would appreciate it.


Need to remember that Twilight Time does not do any work on the transfers and only produces from the transfer given to them. They are not Criterion.
 

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2009
Messages
5,339
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Manufacturers may latch onto 4K as a marketing hook, but it seems pretty pointless for home theatre. There's an interesting interview with Panavision's Senior Vice President of Advanced Digital Imaging here, where he says:
The 4K system that most people know is IMAX -- and it doesn't quite make 4K, which is a surprise to people... A number of years ago some IMAX engineers – and I don’t think IMAX ever let these guys out of their lab again -- did this wonderfully elegant experiment at the Large Film Format Seminar at Universal Studios Imax theatre. They showed this film they made that began with 2 rows of 2 squares: black white, white black, as if you had 4 pixels on the screen. Then they started to double and double and double the squares. Before they got to 4K the screen was gray. Do you know what the means? There was no longer any difference between black and white, which is what allows you to see sharpness. It's the contrast that we see, not the actual information. Technically, the MTF (Modulation Transfer Function) was zero at 4K! Let's just pretend for a moment that IMAX truly is 4K. You watch IMAX at between one and one and a half picture heights from the screen. But in order to get to appreciate 4K on a regular movie screen, you would have to sit much closer than normal. In other words, when you go to a movie theater, and most of the modern theaters with stadium seating are designed so that the middle of the theater is 2 ½ to 3 picture heights from the screen, for most of us who watch movies, that’s pretty where we want to be sitting. Maybe just a little bit closer from some of us who do this for a living, because we're maybe looking for artifacts or issues. If you sit much closer than 2 ½ picture heights, that's what you're seeing, artifacts, not movies! So if you had true 4K resolution in your local theater, everybody would have to sitting in the first 6 rows. Otherwise they wouldn't see any extra detail. Their eyes wouldn't LET them see it. You know this intuitively from passing by these beautiful new monitors at trade shows. You find yourself getting absolutely as close as possible to see the detail, and to see if there are any visible artifacts. At normal viewing distances, you can't. So the whole 2K 4K thing is a little bit of a red herring.
 

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Joined
May 14, 2009
Messages
2,964
Real Name
Richard
dpippel said:
I disagree. After pushing 3D as the "next big thing", display manufacturers will need a new technology to convince people they need to buy new TVs. 4K is the logical technology to drive those future sales. That would be my guess anyway.
I read an article http://www.pcworld.com/article/247120/when_will_lgs_84inch_4k_tv_go_mainstream_maybe_never.html, but the person being interviewed said that in order to really get the full benefit of 4K the screen would have to be about 25 ft in diameter!! Umm, I don't have any 25 ft rooms in my house.
 

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2006
Messages
7,475
Real Name
Robin
Worth said:
Manufacturers may latch onto 4K as a marketing hook, but it seems pretty pointless for home theatre.
I have no opinion on this subject but Sony and Meridian seem to disagree. They both have 4K projectors for home cinemas. Very, very expensive home cinemas, mind you. Meridian's 810 projector costs £ 140,000. Pounds, not dollars. Come to think of it, you're right: that is pretty pointless for my home theatre.
 

Robin9 said:
Worth said:
Manufacturers may latch onto 4K as a marketing hook, but it seems pretty pointless for home theatre.
I have no opinion on this subject but Sony and Meridian seem to disagree. They both have 4K projectors for home cinemas. Very, very expensive home cinemas, mind you. Meridian's 810 projector costs £ 140,000. Pounds, not dollars. Come to think of it, you're right: that is pretty pointless for my home theatre.
Well, they (the manufacturers) are going to have to come up with something to sell us after 3D, so if not 4K, what might it be?
 

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2007
Messages
8,904
Location
New Orleans
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by John Hermes


Well, they (the manufacturers) are going to have to come up with something to sell us after 3D, so if not 4K, what might it be?

I'm done, not even going the 3D route. I will end on Blu-ray, of which I don't even think they have scratched the surface of interest and is no where near mature.
 

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2006
Messages
5,510
Real Name
Douglas Monce
ShowsOn said:
Yeah, and I think sound films are a passing fad. More seriously. Something Twilight Time should consider doing. They should try to arrange Blu-ray releases of some of Warner Archive's most successful remastered titles.
The difference between 1080p and 4k isn't perceivable at a screen size that is practical in the home. Not really much point in the increased resolution if no one can see the difference. Doug
 

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2006
Messages
5,510
Real Name
Douglas Monce
dpippel said:
I disagree. After pushing 3D as the "next big thing", display manufacturers will need a new technology to convince people they need to buy new TVs. 4K is the logical technology to drive those future sales. That would be my guess anyway.
Yeah, and 3D was such a HUGE hit. Doug
 

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Moderator
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Joined
Dec 9, 1998
Messages
68,847
Location
Michigan
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by dpippel



I disagree. After pushing 3D as the "next big thing", display manufacturers will need a new technology to convince people they need to buy new TVs. 4K is the logical technology to drive those future sales. That would be my guess anyway.




Good luck to them for trying as 3D isn't doing too good right now. I'll be done after buying my second 3D display for my main HT to replace my HD DLP display. Just about everybody I have talked to outside of this forum have little interest in 3D and are currently very safisfied with their current HD displays. IMO, 4K won't catch on enough to drive future sales.








Crawdaddy
 

ShowsOn

Second Unit
Joined
Mar 21, 2011
Messages
253
Real Name
Simon Howson
ahollis said:
  Need to remember that Twilight Time does not do any work on the transfers and only produces from the transfer given to them.  They are not Criterion.
Yeah, so they should go to Warner Home Video and propose limited edition 3000 run of Blu-rays of their remastered Warner Archive titles. The Warner Archive MOD DVD will be $19.95, or people could pay $30 or $35 for a Blu-ray, knowing there will only be 3000 copies. It would be pretty easy to determine what to release, if Warner is willing to give them the sales stats for the DVDs.
 

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2000
Messages
12,449
Location
Sonora Norte
Real Name
Doug
Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Monce

The difference between 1080p and 4k isn't perceivable at a screen size that is practical in the home. Not really much point in the increased resolution if no one can see the difference.
Doug


I don't think that's going to stop them. Selling products by hyping a "feature" has never been a problem for the industry. People are easily convinced to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on boutique interconnects that offer no measurable improvement over wire that's a fraction of the cost.
 

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2000
Messages
12,449
Location
Sonora Norte
Real Name
Doug
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce

Yeah, and 3D was such a HUGE hit.
Doug

3D suffers from multiple companies pushing competing and incompatible standards, a small number of titles, and the misfortune of hitting the market during the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression. I'm not saying that 4K would fool the informed, but name another technology 5-6 years out that's going drive new panel sales. The only two I can think of are OLED and thin film displays.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Sign up for our newsletter

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more







You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
357,891
Messages
5,145,443
Members
144,505
Latest member
diaboliqstudios
Recent bookmarks
0
Top