interview with the vampire dts glitch?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Chris Parham, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Chris Parham

Chris Parham Stunt Coordinator

I know it's an old title, but I got it as a throw in with some other things I bought this weekend and was excited when I saw the DTS logo on the back.
    However, when I tried to watch the disc after selecting the DTS track, something happened that I have never had happen with any disc in my setup! For starters, there was no sound at all. Stranger still, the picture blacked out every 5 seconds!
    When I selected the DD 5.1 track from the menu, the movie played fine. Fortunately I found this track to be more than adequate and I continued to watch the film with this workaround.
    Is there a known glitch with this disc? Can an audio track cause a problem with the video on a disc?
    I am using an ancient Panasonic A110 that has served me well for almost 10 years. It's known glitch is a tendency to skip chapters at layer changes on some titles ( although it's been a long time since I've had this happen with a title). I have 4 other players in my house but none of them are hooked up to an amp that does DTS. I'd like it if someone here could answer my questions before I start swapping out players in my main setup.

Thanks!

2. Christopher*KH

Christopher*KH Stunt Coordinator

I am watching it now to see if mine does what your's does and so far so good I have sound and picture. I am using a PIONEER-578A player with PIONEER VSX-D81OS I am using the DTS setup. Good Luck in trying other players.

3. Todd Stout

Todd Stout Screenwriter

I don't have any experience with that particular DVD but I do have a Panasonic DVD-A110 that I used as my primary player for almost 6 years. I did occassionally see the player skip the first chapter after a layer change but it never had any other problems. I never once had any problems playing any of my many DTS DVDs. The problem you describe of the picture blacking out every five seconds doesn't sound to me like it would have anything to do with listening to the DTS soundtrack on your disc. I could be wrong though.

4. Chris Parham

Chris Parham Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the responses. My amp is a pioneer 812 and it handles all DTS formats flawlessly. I agree that it seems odd that the picture problem could be tied to the chosen audio track but I could watch the movie without problem in Dolby Digital. The video blanking occurred every time I switched to the DTS track. I hope I just have a bad disc. I can live with watching this title in DD. I would hate to have this re-occur with other titles.

5. Marc_Sulinski

Marc_Sulinski Supporting Actor

It doesn't even sound like a disc problem. I say that because the video track on the disc is the same whether watching DTS or DD. It sounds like your player is having some trouble with the DTS track which may be affecting it in other areas, like video playback.

While the movie does sound good in DD, I would recommend listening to the DTS track. If I am not mistaken, it is a full-bitrate DTS track, which is somewhat rare, and not even done any more.

6. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

It is indeed a player problem. I used to have the exact same player and it had the same problem too... Old firmware that doesn't react well to variences in software revisions. And early Panasonics were usually pretty much crap.

Long ago it went in the trash.

Dan