Interview with Gary Kurtz

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Luc D, Nov 17, 2002.

1. Luc D

Luc D Second Unit

IGN has an extensive five part interview with producer Gary Kurtz, whose most notable accomplishments include Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back. It's a bit long, but worth reading.
    Mods, I skimmed through the most recent pages of the active Star Wars threads and saw no mention of it, and although much of the interview has to do with Star Wars, I figured it deserved it's own thread. I think anyone who reads it would agree.
    Here it is

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Luc,
    If this discussion starts to focus on the Star Wars films then you can guess what's next will happen to this thread. Did anybody say merged thread?

Crawdaddy

3. Luc D

Luc D Second Unit

Fair enough, but I only mention it because the interview does cover quite a bit of ground. Most startling of all was the possibility of a very different Apocalypse Now directed by George Lucas.

4. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

5. Jonathan Burk

Jonathan Burk Second Unit

Jonathan Burk
    Wow. That was a great interview, and it really clarified a lot of the feelings I've had about the different Star Wars films. I was really moved by the description of what "Return of the Jedi" could have been.
    Does IGN have many other interviews of this quality? I was especially impressed with the knowledge of the interviewer; he asked every question I would have, plus many more. Since the interview is about so much more than "Star Wars", and not everyone is following that monstrous thread otherwise referred to, I'm glad this seperate notice was posted. [​IMG]

6. DonMac

DonMac Stunt Coordinator

7. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

It is indeed a great interview and he says a lot of things but you have to look at the both sides. One of the things that the defenders of Lucas say is, OK but what masterpiece Kurtz produced since? They say that he didn’t do anything that important after his departure.

8. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Wow, I Do Not agree with Kurtz about William Friedkin's Sorcerer. I personally thought it was a very worthy film, different enough from the 1953 version to stand on it's own IMO.

9. Glenn_Jn

Glenn_Jn Stunt Coordinator

"Scorcerer" is one of those movies that film snobs like to pick on because it's a remake. Even worse a Hollywood remake. Well f**kum I say. I liked it and it's a film I look forward to watching on DVD, if they ever release a decent version of it. Roy Scheider rules!

10. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

To be honest, I take half of what I hear about both Lucas and Kurtz and scratch the other half.
    On one hand, you've got Lucas who was half the director he was during Star Wars and American Graffitti but nowhere near as bad as the naysayers put him up to be.
    Then there's Gary Kurtz, while he's made a few good points, nonetheless has nowhere near the success he used to have.

11. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    Very worthwhile read, primarily for the information NOT relating to Star Wars.

Thanks for sharing the link,
    Chuck

12. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer