What's new

Interview with Gary Kurtz (1 Viewer)

Luc D

Second Unit
IGN has an extensive five part interview with producer Gary Kurtz, whose most notable accomplishments include Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back. It's a bit long, but worth reading.
Mods, I skimmed through the most recent pages of the active Star Wars threads and saw no mention of it, and although much of the interview has to do with Star Wars, I figured it deserved it's own thread. I think anyone who reads it would agree.
Here it is

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Luc,
If this discussion starts to focus on the Star Wars films then you can guess what's next will happen to this thread. Did anybody say merged thread?

Crawdaddy

Luc D

Second Unit
Fair enough, but I only mention it because the interview does cover quite a bit of ground. Most startling of all was the possibility of a very different Apocalypse Now directed by George Lucas.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Mods, I skimmed through the most recent pages of the active Star Wars threads and saw no mention of it, and although much of the interview has to do with Star Wars, I figured it deserved it's own thread. I think anyone who reads it would agree.
You must have missed the one and only official thread here:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...&pagenumber=43
I started to quote from him from day 1. ;)
Post #1280!

Jonathan Burk

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Burk
Wow. That was a great interview, and it really clarified a lot of the feelings I've had about the different Star Wars films. I was really moved by the description of what "Return of the Jedi" could have been.
Does IGN have many other interviews of this quality? I was especially impressed with the knowledge of the interviewer; he asked every question I would have, plus many more. Since the interview is about so much more than "Star Wars", and not everyone is following that monstrous thread otherwise referred to, I'm glad this seperate notice was posted. :emoji_thumbsup:

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
It is indeed a great interview and he says a lot of things but you have to look at the both sides. One of the things that the defenders of Lucas say is, OK but what masterpiece Kurtz produced since? They say that he didn’t do anything that important after his departure.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Wow, I Do Not agree with Kurtz about William Friedkin's Sorcerer. I personally thought it was a very worthy film, different enough from the 1953 version to stand on it's own IMO.

Glenn_Jn

Stunt Coordinator
"Scorcerer" is one of those movies that film snobs like to pick on because it's a remake. Even worse a Hollywood remake. Well f**kum I say. I liked it and it's a film I look forward to watching on DVD, if they ever release a decent version of it. Roy Scheider rules!

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
To be honest, I take half of what I hear about both Lucas and Kurtz and scratch the other half.
On one hand, you've got Lucas who was half the director he was during Star Wars and American Graffitti but nowhere near as bad as the naysayers put him up to be.
Then there's Gary Kurtz, while he's made a few good points, nonetheless has nowhere near the success he used to have.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Does IGN have many other interviews of this quality?
The Filmforce section tends to feature indepth stuff, like this, yeah. The problem I have with their interviews is that they're two "kiss-ass"y. They always take the side of whatever the interviewee says, even if they said something contridictory before. While you don't want to offend and alienate yourself from the person you interviewing, I find it hard to read so much blatant ass kissing in an interview. They do tend to get some great info out of the people they interview, however.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks