Interview out of state - should they pay?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Huay, Apr 2, 2002.

1. Mike Huay

Mike Huay Stunt Coordinator

I got offered an interview on the west coast where I eventually intend to live. But I am back east now.

They refused to pay for an airline ticket for me to interview, so I turned it down. I also took it as a sign that they werent really serious.

I would have to quit or be fired from the *fairly decent* temporary job I have now, so I lost the chance.

Is it typical for a company to pay interview expenses on good jobs? This was for a management job which was supposed to have a 60K plus pay range.

2. Ken Wagner

Ken Wagner Stunt Coordinator

Usually they pay for your expenses to and from. It sounds as if they were fishing and you didn't bite. I say you made the right choice. If they thought you had potential then so will someone else.

3. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

When I was coming out of college I had some companies offer to pay gas money if it was over a certain distance. I think a trip across the country should definitely be covered.

4. Leo Hinze

Leo Hinze Stunt Coordinator

You didn't mention specifics about the company, job, etc, so all of the following is a bit of a generalization.

5. Paul Jenkins

Paul Jenkins Supporting Actor

It really depends on the size of the company. As a member of a small startup (5 of us), there just isn't any way we can afford to fly people into town and pay their expenses. Just the way it is!

However, any company that is of a certain size and is very interested in you, should fly you out and pick up the expenses for your trouble. If not, I wouldn't consider the company [imagine how they are going to be to work for if they will not fly you out for the interview!]

I can't imagine flying someone out for an interview without at least one long to two or three shorter phone screens, regardless of company size. To do otherwise is wasteful of everyones time...

6. Mike Huay

Mike Huay Stunt Coordinator

You guys are right about the phone interview. I did suggest it to the recruiter I am working with, but the offer was rejected.

The job is supposed to involve sales and training and was described as having extensive travel requirements in the US and abroad.

When I found out the company would not pay for a ticket it just did not seem to jive.

7. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Sounds like you avoided a waste of time and money. If their job requires a lot of travel, I'd think they would have a lot of travel discounts and would have easily been able to book and pay for your travel.

As a small company, we may not be able to reimburse all expenses, but if we're interested in someone who lives a great distance away, and the phone interview goes well, we at least offer to split the travel expenses with the interviewee and offer assistance with moving expenses if we hire them.

8. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I remember when I was a senior in college, companies would fly interviewees all over the place, I went to Greensboro, NC, Tewksbury, MA, binghamton, NY, and other places, all expenses paid, free meals, free movies, the works, it was really fun. And then you are usually setup with a host to show you the town a bit. For the most parts, the host would be somebody fairly young and just into the workforce too so it's fun too.

Are companies still doing that these days or is it a little scaled down. I'm sure they're still paying airfare and stuff cause we all know college students are poor.

As far as interviews for the working folks, I would think that the airfare should be paid for, especially if the company you work for is going to make you travel alot. It would give me, personally, a bad taste to be travelling alot yet refused airfare for an interview, or even decline a phone interview for that matter!

I actually was supposed to have a phone interview with a company in Illinois when I was a senior. The company never called at the scheduled time, I sat in my dorm like an idiot! Needlesstosay, I never bothered to call back to remind them of that... but then I already had two job offers and wasn't going to work for them anyway, unless they had some super offer on the table.

Jay

9. MikeF

MikeF Stunt Coordinator

I think preparedness to pay varies. I was interviewing in NYC this summer at a number of law firms. Some picked up a ridiculous tab -- putting me up in $1200/night suites, etc. -- while others didn't drop a dime. I don't think it's uncouth just to ask.

10. DennisHP

DennisHP Second Unit

Your skills are a service/product. Comapnies buy your services. If they want your services they should be prepared to pay for them. If there is "shipping" involved, it's their cost, not yours; unless you ship for free. [​IMG] By not offering free shipping, you showed them you feel your services are worth every penny you charge. By not paying for shipping, they showed you they really didn't need your product.

11. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan
    Let's just hope you "ship" with someone other than the post office![​IMG]

12. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    I had a similar experience after I graduated chicago. I got an interview in my friends company in cleveland and I lived in chicago. They would not pay for the trip but I went anyway because I was able to see my college drinking buddy. Anyway, they did offer me the job but the pay was not what I wanted. It was a good experience. The funniest part of the job interview day was that they sent me to get a physical. Seemed odd because the female doctor was really looking at my genetalia. I told her if she kept doing what she was doing, someone was going to come out and say Hi. I think she was embarrassed because she turned all red. I should have gotten her name and address.

So I guess my point is, maybe you have a friend you can visit while out on the interview and maybe you'll get your sack fondled in a good way.

13. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

As for companies still doing this, I recently started with a large company that flew me to the interview, put me up in a mid-level hotel, and paid for everything with no questions. So it is still happening, but I can't imagine that the company would make you pay.

For 60K and a job with extensive travel, they were probably pulling your chain. Otherwise they should have at least given a reason.

14. Chris Lock

Chris Lock Second Unit

The fact that they wouldn't do a phone interview first tells me either they don't know what they're doing or aren't serious. I'd pass on them, too.

15. TimW

TimW Agent

Yeah. Usually they give you the workout of a phone interview just to see if you're just as interested in the job as they are in finding someone.

One thing to consider is that when working through a recruiter, most of the time the company will communicate via him or her. The downside is that if you get the job, some, if not all, of the potential signing bonus will go to the recruiter.

At least that is the way it is in my industry. Many times if the recruiter finds what he considers to be a fit,(company wants you, interview went well) they stop looking for other potential options.

Tim