Interview In Billboard With Warners George Feltenstein

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Joe Caps, Aug 27, 2003.

1. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

The new issue of Billboard magazine has an interview with Wrner Bros George Feltenstein prmoting the new Studio Classics series. He mentions thatt up next for treatment is Meet me in st. Louis and Wizard of Oz (again!! what thehell more can they do with it?)

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Their Oz SE is great, but it still is a lot of stuff crammed onto a DVD-9.

Among the improvements could be...

Ultra-Resolution transfer (LDI wanted to do this in 2K)
    Both the original mono and 5.1
    Music-only track
    Commentary/commentaries

Plus, all those extras could be moved to the 2nd disc.

3. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

I agree that the picture itself could benefit from a higher bitrate, but I'm not so keen to watch LDI remove all of the grain from the film. Their all-knowing software might view the tornado as a tear and attempt to remove it. [​IMG]

I thought the extras on the last release were pretty grand. We'll see what they can come up with, but unless the picture really floors me, I'll keep my current disc.

4. Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon Screenwriter

Wizard Of Oz could also be improved dramatically by fixing the "Jitterbug" supplement that they messed up the last time by using the choreography rehearsal track instead of the proper final orchestrated track with Garland and the cast (the rehearsal track is the flat off-key monotone of Donna Massin standing in for Garland with the rest of the cast just going through the motions). This botched supplement is the one reason why I haven't even looked at my DVD copy since the day I bought it and have stuck to the old "Ultimate Oz" LD set instead.

5. Conrad_SSS

Conrad_SSS Second Unit

I read that article too. But it is also an interview with Warner Brothers' Robert Hummel, who seems to be THE guy behind their "Ultra-Resolution" process. It is he who mentions ST. LOUIS and then hints (not so discreetly) that OZ is in the pipeline.

The WB "Ultra-Resolution" process, (which has NOTHING to do with Lowery by the way folks) could do wonders with the registration problems faced by WB during their last OZ go-round.....