Intervideo DVD Player plug-in?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Colin Davidson, Sep 19, 2003.

1. Colin Davidson

Colin Davidson Second Unit
    Supporter

Does anyone use the Intervideo DVD player plug-in for Windows Media Player?

Would be curious to know how the performance is and whether it works alright. At $14.95 it seems like a better investment for me at this time then the full blown version for $50.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Colin

2. Diallo B

Diallo B Screenwriter

works well. yes, 15 is better than 50.

djb

3. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    The DVD XPack does a decent job. The picture quality is a par with the picture quality of the demo version of the full retail package.

I use the WinDVD XPack along with the Inmatrix Zoomplayer. Much better interface than either Windows Media Player or Intervideo WinDVD's full package. Just be aware that the Zoomplayer (at least the version 2.90 I still use) is full of configuration options including advanced aspect ratio control settings which could take quite a bit of time to master.

One problem with both WinDVD and PowerDVD's audio filters is that there's some sort of automatic sound level adjustment built into the Dolby Digital decoder which does an excellent job of screwing up the sound levels. It took me a while, but I finally found a better Dolby Digital decoder named AC3Filter ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/ac3filter ) which allows you to lock in the sound levels so they don't fluctuate all over the place.

One final note. The XPack and the AC3Filter do not do DTS. Unless someone has created a separate filter for that, you can get it only with the retail versions of WinDVD or PowerDVD, but that's an extra charge in both cases.

4. Colin Davidson

Colin Davidson Second Unit
    Supporter

Thanks Diallo and really appreciate the detailed info Francois. I will take a look at the other programs you suggested.

Colin