Interpretation of Best Buy coupon

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TonyTone, Dec 9, 2002.

1. TonyTone

TonyTone Supporting Actor

I had one of those Best Buy "$5 off any video game or video game accessory $19.99 or greater" coupons found in those Netflix DVD cases. I attempted to use said coupon on a couple of PS2 games; the cashier applied the coupon to only one of the two items. I asked her why she didn't apply it to the other item; she said that it was "one coupon per item". I asked her where did it say that on the coupon--she pointed out the "one coupon per customer". I told her that that doesn't mean one coupon per item; she also said that if the coupon could be used on multiple items it would have stated something like "limit x items per coupon." Well, I told her that if such were the case, the coupon would have stated "limit 1 item per coupon", no? She called a floor supervisor over--the supe said that the coupon was indeed one item per coupon, because the statement "$5 off any video game" meant that it was just for one video game only. I then asked him why, that if such were the case, why would the instructions include "scan product UPCs"--note the plurality of the acronym "UPC". He finally relented, if only because he didn't want to waste any more of his time arguing with me.
    So, was I right in interpreting the coupon the way I did? I know all this is pretty moot because I did get the $5 off both items instead of just one item, but I felt that I was in the right in interpreting the meaning/use of the coupon.
    Thanks!

2. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

Way to stick to your guns!!

I don't know what's correct, but it's ambiguous to say the least.

3. Rich Milak

Rich Milak Agent

I work for bb (sorry) but stick to your guns make a seen and you will get them to do anything such as 10% off any major purchase the mark up is so great that this is nothing to them. This time of year they want sales sales sales!

4. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I think you were correct. Extra points for turning the supervisor's own game back on him ("game" singular vs. "UPC's" plural). I probably wouldn't have been able to think that fast. [​IMG]

5. Angel Pagan

Angel Pagan Second Unit

[​IMG]
    I also use the same coupon plus the ones that came in the "Ice Age" promotional dvd. Those coupons also state "Cashier instructions: Scan Coupon UPC. Scan qualifying product UPCs. Scan all other product(s) being sold. ", etc.
    Quick thinking. I wish I was as quick on my feet when I went to BB last weekend and spent $200 on video games and dvds.

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i can't figure out these stores!

sometimes they have *great* customer service, and sometimes they blow harder then a two-dollar.....oh never mind.

i got into a pretty big battle with one of the c/s reps. i showed a coupon from toys 'r' us for some dvd. the coupon said "while supplies last". the c/s rep kept saying that they couldn't honor the sale because of that phrase. she kept saying something about that meant only for their "special stock" blah blah blah. i finally had to call a supervisor over who said she called tru and they didn't have any left - so they couldn't honor the sale. since i was out of luck and already irritated i left.

but i should have asked her while the other rep kept yapping about the "while supplies last" thing.

then another time i bought a dvd with a damaged sleeve. when i tried to exchange it the c/s rep (i think she was the manager) told me she'd take $5.00 off if i kept it. i said no problem.

so, go figure. i've come to the conclusion that it's the luck of the draw as to whether you get good service from that damn store.

for the most part, i only go there now as a last resort. i've decided to give my money elsewhere when i can.

7. TonyTone

TonyTone Supporting Actor

Thanks for the positive support! FWIW--I had no intention of making a big scene out of the coupon issue; I politely and calmly explained my points (none of which neither the cashier nor the floor supe could successfully refute) regarding the interpretation of said coupon. As pointed out earlier by myself and others, I think the floor supe just wanted sales and didn't want to waste his time arguing over the interpretation of a coupon.

The worst that would have happened would be that I would just walk out without a sale and try a different BB, or perhaps just buy one of the two games--I was really only interested in one of them anyway but saw another which caught my eye and I reasoned that if I'm gonna buy that one too, I might as well take advantage of the coupon.

8. Rob TT

Rob TT Stunt Coordinator

i was wondering, on the same coupon, it says "not good in combination with other coupons or offers". Is price matching an "offer"? I want them to pricematch compusa's ad for Metroid (39.99) and use the $5 off coupon I got in Nintendo Power.