What's new

Internet stores to buy AV components. (1 Viewer)

Norris

Stunt Coordinator
I noticed that the vast majority of online stores have their brick & mortar locations in New York. Why is this? Can't find any in CA. Does NY have some special tax breaks for these stores?

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Years ago they probably were telephone mail-order stores from their B&M location in NY. IIRC back in the 1970's most of the AV places were in NY. They probably just tacked on an internet sales site when it became popular.

IIRC Circuit City started as a mail-order place called "Dixie Hi-Fi" in Richmond VA. I bought some stuff from Dixie back in the early 1970s......

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
I thought Circuit City started out as a mail-order Piggly Wiggly.... Sorry, just love that name.:b

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
I recall seeing a thread here a few months back that had pictures of the storefronts of many of these web-based A/V retailers in NY. Yonkers seems to be a hotspot. They were holes-in-the-wall. With handwritten signs taped to the doors, residences etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks