Internet 'sticks' problem, HELP!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikePeroni, Aug 15, 2002.

1. MikePeroni

MikePeroni Stunt Coordinator

Hello all, when I load a page on the net, the page will load up fine BUT, I cant highlight or click on anything for about 10-15 seconds. Im using internet explorer with Windows Me. Also, Im using DSL by Ameritech, but this problem was still existant even with dial-up.

I cant even use the 'back arrow' or 'close' or anything as well for about 15 seconds. This is driving me NUTS, please help!!!

Mike

2. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

What version of IE are you using?

3. MikePeroni

Its not the latest version, I think its whatever was current a year ago. I tried to download the update, but I couldnt. The screen shows the quicktime 'Q' and thats it. Something is wrong, why would my computer try to use Quicktime to download an IE update!? Weird.

4. Travis Hedger

Travis Hedger Supporting Actor

5. Chad Ellinger

Chad Ellinger Second Unit

Mike,
    This may be a long shot, but try downloading a program called Ad-Aware. Sometimes small spyware programs can attach themselves to IE and wreak havoc. Ad-Aware will find and remove spyware. Just a thought.

6. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

7. MikePeroni

Hey guys. Whats the the easiest way to reinstall the OS? What happens to all the stuff you have installed already (wifes work stuff, games, photoshop ...ect) If anyone could tell me the way to do it, that would be great! I figure its worth a shot.

Thanks again, Mike

8. Chad Ellinger

Chad Ellinger Second Unit

Reinstalling an OS is time-consuming, but not too difficult if you take all the right steps.
    1. Backup everything. This includes My Documents, Email, IE Favorites, MP3s, Game Save files, Application install files and anything else you'll need/want to keep.
    2. Double-check that you have backed up everything.
    3. (Windows 9x only) Create a boot disk. If you are going to put ME back on, create a startup disk (Add/Remove Programs in control panel) and copy the FDISK and FORMAT programs from the WINDOWSCOMMAND folder onto it. If you have the opportunity to, I highly recommend upgrading to Windows XP, as its far more stable than Windows ME. If you use XP, you can skip to step 6.
    4. (Windows 9x only) Boot with the startup disk. Choose a DOS prompt w/o CD drivers and run FDISK. Use FDISK to delete and then recreate your primary partition. Reboot with the startup disk.
    5. (Windows 9x only) Format the hard drive. Choose a DOS prompt w/ CD drivers, type FORMAT C: and begin formatting.
    6. Run Windows setup. Go to your CD drive (D: or E[​IMG] and type SETUP. Follow the instructions from there. You may also be able to boot from the CD. If you are installing XP, you can delete, create and format partitions from the setup program. Be sure to do all three before installing Windows.
    The most important steps are one and two, but once you format and reinstall, your PC will be lean and mean and should run like new.