What's new

Internet speed connection test. Beat me if you can (1 Viewer)

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
Man, I only got 660K. I have DSL, which I thought was supposed to be better than cable since you dont have to share your bandwith. Guess I was wrong, because you guys with cable have me killed!

-Marshall

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Sighhh...35.8 kilobits per second.

Perhaps the best selling point for broadband - the amount of time wasted waiting for downloads using dialup vs. broadband.

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
I have DSL, which I thought was supposed to be better than cable since you dont have to share your bandwith
I'm not sure about everywhere else, but here in Philly our cable modems (Comcast) destroy DSL (Verizon). The slowest Comcast ever is is the fastest DSL gets. I know it may seem like I'm talking good about Comcast, but I say it with spite :D
One thing Verizon talks about around here is how they have a much steadier connection, where cable modems flucuate greatly depedning on the time of day. (but still, cable is never slower then DSL so I'm not sure why anyone would stick with DSL around here.)

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
In my area DSL is slower, more expensive ($39/month cable and usually $49/month for DSL), requires a long-term contract, and requires a local home phone service as well (don't need one with cable). I don't understand why anyone would want DSL unless they're an employee benefit.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
I don't understand why anyone would want DSL unless they're an employee benefit.
  1. Dedicated connection, not shared throughout your neighborhood. Everyone on cable is affected by the transfers of their neighbors.
  2. Almost no draconian rules. Most cable companies prevent you from running servers by blocking inbound connections; most also block certain outbound connection ports, like to newsgroups.
  3. No transfer caps (that I know of). Several cable companies are unethically tagging you as a bandwidth hog based on total bytes transferred for the month, even if your downloads are occurring at 3 AM when everyone else is asleep.[/list=1] Don't criticize all DSL companies just because you're apparently getting shafted by one compnay. For $59/mo I'm getting a consistent 1.6 Mb down; I can easily max out my bandwidth; I can run servers as long as I don't abuse the rpivilege; and I have no transfer caps.
    Cable might be cheaper, but they make sure to prevent you from using your connection as you would a DSL connection. Just bend over and grab your ankles. :D

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
One thing Verizon talks about around here is how they have a much steadier connection, where cable modems flucuate greatly depedning on the time of day.
Verizon is horrendous. They were my first DSL provider, and I couldn't get rid of them quickly enough. PPPoE is bad enough, but completely inept technical support personnel and outrageous costs made me switch to be a very happy Covad user.

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
Don't criticize all DSL companies just because you're apparently getting shafted by one compnay. For $59/mo I'm getting a consistent 1.6 Mb down; I can easily max out my bandwidth; I can run servers as long as I don't abuse the rpivilege; and I have no transfer caps.
Likewise with cable...

For $39/mo I'm getting a consistent 3.0 Mb down. I'm running Web, Mail, and FTP servers, and also running Remote Desktop hosting. The single drawback thus far is the capped up speed, which for me isn't worth the added cost and drawbacks of DSL.

Chris White

Second Unit
My connection is averaging 7.3 Mb this afternoon. Needless to say, high speed internet access is one of the big perks of academia. :)

FredHD

Stunt Coordinator
I just got my DSL running today and I am downloading around 700kbs. It may not be as fast as the cable connections, but it beats the hell out of the dial up I had.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
For $39/mo I'm getting a consistent 3.0 Mb down. I'm running Web, Mail, and FTP servers, and also running Remote Desktop hosting.
:eek: Wow! Are you hooked up with a local cable company? Just about all of the bigger cable companies prevent incoming connections! You're one of a privileged few, I can assure you of that.

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
Are you hooked up with a local cable company? Just about all of the bigger cable companies prevent incoming connections! You're one of a privileged few, I can assure you of that.
Cox Cable, Council Bluffs, Iowa. If & when my cable starts placing unacceptable restrictions, I'll start considering other other options. But as slow and wretched as DSL is around here, my cable will have to be pretty bad for DSL to be the lesser of 2 evils.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks