What's new

Internet speed connection test. Beat me if you can (1 Viewer)

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
Broadband Reports is usually considered a more reliable source for bandwidth data testing. You can even average your scores between two servers; not to mention the fact that it measures your upstream speed.
EDIT: BTW, I got a 1.7Mbps at Bandwidthplace, and I got 1442/244 down/up at Broadbandreports. Because my cable service (ATTBI) has a cap at 1500/256 down/up, I'd take the Bandwidthplace numbers with a grain of salt.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
Hmmmmmm.....
i got the same thing, a very high number, on my second try. i think its because you hit the back button instead of 'retry the test'. when you hit the back button, the file they have you download for the test is still in your cache, hence the huge speed. at least thats what i think is going on. i got 35 mbps on my second try like that.

CJ

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Jerme you're not one of those photochop freaks are you? ;) 54mb is crazy!
I got 1.6mb with Comcast. I know it's not horrible but I've never been satisfied with them when @Home went kaput. I literally average about 1 connection problem a day with the latest 1 hour ago.

Mark Leiter

Second Unit
Your download speed : 1218284 bps, or 1218 kbps.
A 148.7 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 94854 bps, or 94 kbps.

read'm and weep

Adrian_S

Second Unit
I ran the test on Cox Cable, Chula Vista:
2.5 megabits per second
Your raw speed was 2451117.71 bits per second
Not bad.... :)

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm, I think I hit a record today. Was downloading beta 40.41 Detonator drivers for my Geforce 4 card, and it hit a whopping 600Kbytes/second. Roughly 4.8 megabits/s! :eek:

Michael Silla

Second Unit
Max,
I'm afraid that still doesn't beat my all time record for Excite@home cable download.
859Kbytes/second!
This was when I had it first installed in May 2000. This only happened, as you can imagine - once ;). Most times during that period, I could safely download from most sites at ~350Kbytes/second.
Then I shot myself in the foot and bought a new house in a area not receiving coverage.
I'm still waiting for AT&T Broadband to get their act together.
Michael

Leif Wall

Second Unit
1.3 megabits per second

I'm on wireless via Invisimax (invisimax.com)

Not bad for a town of less then 100 in rural North Dakota.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
How did you get a 4.4 Mbps on a T1, given that T1 has a maximum throughput of 1.5 Mbps, and even that is almost never 100% full at all, much less saturated from a single source?
Um ... you can't. Perhaps T3 was meant to be typed instead?
Actually, the problem is that these tests are not very accurate, no matter how many times you run them. This whole thing is sort of like Vascar - we'll start the clock, send you some information, then stop the clock and just assume that we have accurate results based on a miniscule amount of data. You can't possibly determine an accurate result based on a quick packet transmission from a web site.
The best thing to do is to try to locate a server that is internal to your ISP and download a several-meg file, preferably more than 25 MB if possible. That not only gives you a better potential bandwidth reading, but the size of the file means that you can get a better reading of total throughput since the client will have more samplings/readings with which to average the true data transfer rate.
A T-1 greater than 1.5? Um, no. I don't think so. :D

Bruce Berti

Stunt Coordinator
Adelphia cable in Massachusetts:

2.2 megabits per second

Your raw speed was 2209612.13 bits per second which is the same as:

Communications

2.2 megabits per second
How communication devices are rated. Kilo means 1,000 and mega means 1,000,000. Examples include 56k modem and 10Mbit Ethernet

Storage

269.7 kilobytes per second
The way data is measured on your hard drive and how file sharing and FTP programs measure transfer speeds. Kilo is 1,024 and mega is 1,048,576.

1MB file download

3.8 seconds
The time it would take you to download a 1 megabyte file at this speed.

Rating

Compared to all connection types worldwide, yours is fantastic

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks