What's new

Internet Sharing "broke" after software re-install - help!! (1 Viewer)

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I have three PCs sharing my DSL connection via Win98SE's 'Internet Connection Sharing'. It was working perfectly fine up until the start of this week - someone at our ISP decided to deactivate our DSL, and after much troubleshooting we were told to re-install our Enternet software - the 'launch' software for the DSL connection.

Somehow in all the faffing about, our ICS no longer works - we can see all the computers on the network neighbourhood on each machine, but the client PCs cannot access the Internet/web/email etc. The host can access it fine. I've re-installed ICS, I've doublechecked settings etc, but nothing makes a blind bit of difference.

Ideas?

Jon_R

Stunt Coordinator
If you are talking about win98 networking, and you are, then sometimes a total uninstall reinstall is just what you need. Literally hundreds of times I have fixed some quirky win98 problem by taking the card out of the machine, booting the machine, shutting down, putting the card back in and boom, it works. (worked tech support)
On a more complicated level quite often the win98 tcp/ip stack gets b0rked. Yes, b0rked, that is the only word for it.
Give that a try, and remember, if it doesn't work you are no worse off than before!
:)
Good luck,
Jon

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
On a more complicated level quite often the win98 tcp/ip stack gets b0rked. Yes, b0rked, that is the only word for it.
Yup, I know that one...

Ho hum, I think I'll give AnalogX's tool a try - I know their other software is highly thought of.

Thanks for the help, guys.

Mike St.Louis

Supporting Actor
If you don't mind spending a bit of money, a router is a good investment. You can get a Linksys 4 port router from Costco for less than $150.

You can hook up your DSL connection to the router and then all of your other computers will be able to share the connection. You also get a firewall.

It costs some money but it sure takes the headache out of sharing internet. You don't need to run and configure a proxy server either.

Just my $0.02.

Jesse Leonard

Second Unit
If you don't mind spending a bit of money, a router is a good investment. You can get a Linksys 4 port router from Costco for less than $150.
You can get it for alot cheaper than that. You can get it for $80 here: Link Removed
Brian, do you have an external DSL modem or is it a card that is inside your computer? If you have an external modem then this router would be very benificial in that the host computer won't need to be turned on for the other computers to access the internet. If you have an internal DSL modem, it will be less beneficial.

Wes T

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Neighbor! I had many problems with the enternet software and I ended up solving all of my problems with the Linksys router. The router handles your PPPoE connection for you and stays connected 24/7. Each PC uses DHCP to connect with the router. No host PC is needed and it works like a champ. It is well worth the 79 dollar cost and can handle up to 4 PCs. As an added bonus the router serves as a decent firewall too. Now that I don't have to use Enternet, my DSL has been rock solid for weeks now. There is a really good forum at www.dslreports.com where you can get answers to anything dsl. Good luck. -Wes T

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Have to consider it & weigh up the cost/convience with the wife ;) Thanks for the hints/help.

Nick L

Second Unit
Make sure the ip address is set to 192.168.0.0 for the computer running the ICS. otherwise it won't work.

Nick L

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Well, AnalogX Proxy to the rescue. Kind of. Got web sharing up & running again thanks to AnalogX, and I can send email. But I can't receive it on the client machines. Sigh. I'm running a mailserver on my server - I have to do that as my ADSL smtp server won't allow me to send email with my bairdy.com name on them. Bah.

As the old Scottish expression goes - "If it's not flies, it's midgies." Bah.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks