1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Internet prices VS B&M

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Eric Stuckey, Jun 4, 2003.

1. Eric Stuckey

Eric Stuckey Second Unit

I have been a huge suporter of internet dvd buying because of that extra day advance shipment and " Usealy " the prices are far better then say...Wal-Mart or bestbuy. But here recently I have notice that Wal-MArt , CC ,BestBuy and even Target are selling movies on averge $4-6 bucks chepper. I.E T2:Extream internet price was $16.00 at most IN stores but I found it at Wal-Mart for $14.98 I guess I will just start buying at B & M stores from now on. [​IMG]

2. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

It's hard to generalize. Basically, you need to shop around. If you want to get the lowest prices (and quality internet service), you'll probably end up like me, buying half your dvds in b&m's and half on-line.

B&M's tend to be cheaper (at least the first week - Tuesday through Sunday) on new releases (that they carry). On-line is sometimes cheaper for releases that have been out, but are often the only source for non-blockbuster type films.

Again my advice - don't just pick one (b&m vs. online), shop around and compare. And check out David Lambert's weekly roundup to make some of that shopping around easier. [​IMG]

3. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

This thread serves as a reminder for how much has changed over the years. A few years ago online was the ONLY way to go for new releases. Remember the days where every major online retailer had 40% off all pre-orders ON TOP of all of those killer coupons (the awesome REEL.COM codes, for example)?

4. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

5. Craig Cunningham

Craig Cunningham Stunt Coordinator

Don't forget to factor in taxes and shipping.

Most of my online orders have no tax or shipping.

The convenience of online purchases is still very valuable to me.

6. Matt<>Broon

Matt<>Broon Stunt Coordinator

It also largely depends on where you are based.

Buying R1 DVD's over the 'net is the only way I've managed to get the collection I have without bankrupting myself.

Here in the UK it makes clear economic sense to go multi-region and buy on-line. Even after the occasional import levy from customs or the cost of shipping itself you will usually save money.

Not to mention the advantages of better R1 releases, shorter wait & wider title availability.

7. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

As of today, the sales tax in New York City is 8.625%. With that extra bump, even Best Buy specials usually end up being something less than a bargain. Online is almost always cheaper, if the shipping costs don't kill you.

M.

8. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

yup.
    and that will probably be the case until we get stuck with an internet sales tax.

on-line, including using Columbia House, is cheaper, as long as you are caught up on your CC's, and willing to wait for delays.
    and of course impulse purchases-which make up a good percentage of my buys-are a little less compelling on line.

9. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

10. Michael Reuben

11. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Actually, there is a sales tax uniformity project (Streamlined Sales Tax) that was just recently completed and is quietly being adopted by a number of states. I think about 15% of the US population is covered by it now. There still haven't been any large states to adopt it yet, but I think it's only a matter of time. The big Internet retailers (incl. Amazon) have signed on with their support. It is widely regarded as the necessary gateway for taxation of Internet sales, and any state with a sales tax is going to be all over that.

12. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

Catalog titles--unless it's a huge title like "Grease" or something-- always tend to be much cheaper on-line.

Plus it is often hard to find them in stock at the B&Ms on release day.

So I usually buy my big new release titles locally but I order online catalog titles or smaller indie films or Criterions.

13. Michael Reuben

Mark, I'm aware of the Streamlined Sales Tax, but it still has a long way to go, especially with states like New York that are a patchwork quilt of state and local rates. Also, note the following from the official website:

14. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Online is great for anime, classics... basically anything that is considered "not significant" to places like Best Buy, etc.

I do notice that many times online pre-order prices (at legitimate sites) are now either the same as the first week's sale at a B&M chain or even more. A shame really.

Dan

15. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Columbia House is by FAR the best place to buy DVDs. Average costs comes to $8-9.00 a disc (sometimes cheaper).

However, if you don't want to wait three months or so for a new title to become an enrollment, I find B&Ms are a little cheaper for new releases. As far as catalog titles, Deep Discount DVD is usually best.

16. Jason Hennigan

Jason Hennigan Stunt Coordinator

Jason Hennigan
    NY is only paying 8.6%?

In Seattle, it's something like 8.8% or higher.

Where I live it's 8.4%, and 20 minutes north it's 8.8%.

17. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

Ha, .4 of a percent? LOL, here it's 15% and when the politicians decide to raise the tax they go increments of 3 percent or more!

18. Joel Vardy

Joel Vardy Supporting Actor