What's new

Internet prices VS B&M (1 Viewer)

Eric Stuckey

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric Stuckey
I have been a huge suporter of internet dvd buying because of that extra day advance shipment and " Usealy " the prices are far better then say...Wal-Mart or bestbuy. But here recently I have notice that Wal-MArt , CC ,BestBuy and even Target are selling movies on averge $4-6 bucks chepper. I.E T2:Extream internet price was $16.00 at most IN stores but I found it at Wal-Mart for $14.98 I guess I will just start buying at B & M stores from now on.
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
It's hard to generalize. Basically, you need to shop around. If you want to get the lowest prices (and quality internet service), you'll probably end up like me, buying half your dvds in b&m's and half on-line.

B&M's tend to be cheaper (at least the first week - Tuesday through Sunday) on new releases (that they carry). On-line is sometimes cheaper for releases that have been out, but are often the only source for non-blockbuster type films.

Again my advice - don't just pick one (b&m vs. online), shop around and compare. And check out David Lambert's weekly roundup to make some of that shopping around easier. :emoji_thumbsup:

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
This thread serves as a reminder for how much has changed over the years. A few years ago online was the ONLY way to go for new releases. Remember the days where every major online retailer had 40% off all pre-orders ON TOP of all of those killer coupons (the awesome REEL.COM codes, for example)?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Remember the days where every major online retailer had 40% off all pre-orders ON TOP of all of those killer coupons (the awesome REEL.COM codes, for example)?
Of course. They were also the same days an online retailer paid my salary. :frowning:

Craig Cunningham

Stunt Coordinator
Don't forget to factor in taxes and shipping.

Most of my online orders have no tax or shipping.

The convenience of online purchases is still very valuable to me.

Matt<>Broon

Stunt Coordinator
It also largely depends on where you are based.

Buying R1 DVD's over the 'net is the only way I've managed to get the collection I have without bankrupting myself.

Here in the UK it makes clear economic sense to go multi-region and buy on-line. Even after the occasional import levy from customs or the cost of shipping itself you will usually save money.

Not to mention the advantages of better R1 releases, shorter wait & wider title availability.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
As of today, the sales tax in New York City is 8.625%. With that extra bump, even Best Buy specials usually end up being something less than a bargain. Online is almost always cheaper, if the shipping costs don't kill you.

M.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

yup.
and that will probably be the case until we get stuck with an internet sales tax.

on-line, including using Columbia House, is cheaper, as long as you are caught up on your CC's, and willing to wait for delays.
and of course impulse purchases-which make up a good percentage of my buys-are a little less compelling on line.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
and that will probably be the case until we get stuck with an internet sales tax.
And if that ever happens it'll probably be the end of online shopping for places that don't have a B&M store also. Or a beginning of so many coupons and online sales that the online shops close up.

I've actually been ordering online through best buy. Best Buy prices but free shipping on everything. I would have to pay tax whether I went in the store or shopped online anyways so I just take the lazy route and get it online.

I can't find free shipping for dvd's anymore online from just dvd places. If I could I would buy from places that I wouldn't get hit with tax.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
until we get stuck with an internet sales tax
I'm not holding my breath on that one. Much as the states would like the extra revenue, there hasn't been much progress in working out the kind of simplified rate structure that would be required before retailers could be required to collect such a tax.

M.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Actually, there is a sales tax uniformity project (Streamlined Sales Tax) that was just recently completed and is quietly being adopted by a number of states. I think about 15% of the US population is covered by it now. There still haven't been any large states to adopt it yet, but I think it's only a matter of time. The big Internet retailers (incl. Amazon) have signed on with their support. It is widely regarded as the necessary gateway for taxation of Internet sales, and any state with a sales tax is going to be all over that.

Jodee

Screenwriter
Catalog titles--unless it's a huge title like "Grease" or something-- always tend to be much cheaper on-line.

Plus it is often hard to find them in stock at the B&Ms on release day.

So I usually buy my big new release titles locally but I order online catalog titles or smaller indie films or Criterions.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Mark, I'm aware of the Streamlined Sales Tax, but it still has a long way to go, especially with states like New York that are a patchwork quilt of state and local rates. Also, note the following from the official website:

The Agreement goes into effect when 10 states
comprising at least 20 percent of the population of states imposing a sales tax have come into compliance. However, collection by sellers of sales and use taxes on remote sales remains voluntary under the Agreement until either Congress or the Supreme Court acts to make this collection mandatory.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Online is great for anime, classics... basically anything that is considered "not significant" to places like Best Buy, etc.

I do notice that many times online pre-order prices (at legitimate sites) are now either the same as the first week's sale at a B&M chain or even more. A shame really.

Dan

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Columbia House is by FAR the best place to buy DVDs. Average costs comes to $8-9.00 a disc (sometimes cheaper).

However, if you don't want to wait three months or so for a new title to become an enrollment, I find B&Ms are a little cheaper for new releases. As far as catalog titles, Deep Discount DVD is usually best.

Jason Hennigan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason Hennigan
NY is only paying 8.6%?

In Seattle, it's something like 8.8% or higher.

Where I live it's 8.4%, and 20 minutes north it's 8.8%.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Ha, .4 of a percent? LOL, here it's 15% and when the politicians decide to raise the tax they go increments of 3 percent or more!

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
This thread serves as a reminder for how much has changed over the years. A few years ago online was the ONLY way to go for new releases. Remember the days where every major online retailer had 40% off all pre-orders ON TOP of all of those killer coupons (the awesome REEL.COM codes, for example)?
I've been making this point for some time. I was a firm believer in Internet DVD buying during the heady days of DVDExpress, then Buy.com ... I switched to B&M's when they started to undermine the online community on a regular basis. Now the pendulum has swung and B&M's have for the most part started to drop the 'loss leader' approach to capturing market share. Of late there has been a new wave of 'loss leader' mentality with Target and perhaps even Costco providing some appetizing deals as Best Buy and K-Mart have dropped out of the race. On occassion we still see Wal*Mart make a stab, though with minimal advertising it is hit and miss. With Dave Lambert providing the HTF community a great service by posting B&M prices, it isn't much of a chore to check against all B&M sources and occassional online prices.

I find that DeepDiscountDVD.com provides the best combination of online prices/shipping packages (free shipping and as of yet no sales taxes). What I tend to do is go to the B&M's for the popular titles that they will heavily discount while going with the online purchases for Criterion and Classic releases that are harder and harder to find at B&M's. Prerelease purchases no longer provide the 40% discount incentives that they used to. It seems to me that the sophisticated systems that provided the tools to manage inventories by pre-purchase information are no longer used in the DVD business. It's a shame since as we are clearly in the mass-market, mature side of the curve. The financial incentives to provide prerelease discounts would make a lot of financial sense and provide the consumer a clear reason to plan their prerelease purchases with the online community.

Joel

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newyork333
Recent bookmarks