What's new

Internet Garbage (1 Viewer)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Slow but adequate internet connection.

But many web sites, ​like MSN and others load tons of ads, videos, etc. behind the scenes. I'm to the point where I just drop them off my list and go elsewhere.

They aren't ​pop-ups, just all the crap. Ads, videos you don't care about, etc.

More and more these sites never even show the main article you're looking for, you have to click through multiple pages, each one constantly reloading the same garbage from the previous page.

Is there​ any way to get around this? I recently went to read an article and constantly this lame Revlon ad for lipstick (complete video and sound) kept interrupting. Had to actually click on their lousy ad, then finally given a chance to close it, until I went to the next page, then the same cycle.

I sent MSN a messag​e, but quite sure it will go into the round file.

Recent ​thread about newspapers. I'm considering going back to a subscription. I can read what I want, when I want without the garbage.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Is there any way around the annoying adverts? Not that I'm aware of. For me, the worst culprits are the slideshow style articles, that also max out my C.P.U. Processor. I often just give up on those!

Unfortunately, I don't the ads going anywhere! If anything, they'll likely become more invasive, as it's all about drawing more revenue from these! :P

If it's something that I really want to read about, I simply search for alternate published articles until I find one in which the ads are somewhat less invasive, or don't give me something to the effect of "Your limit of ___ complimentary articles has been reached!".

CHEERS! :)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Tony Bensley said:
If it's something that I really want to read about, I simply search for alternate published articles until I find one in which the ads are somewhat less invasive, or don't give me something to the effect of "Your limit of ___ complimentary articles has been reached!".

CHEERS! :)

I read the Seattle Times a lot, they have the "limit". Haven't set it up on the new laptop, but I found a site that gives you anonymous IP addresses, so you can bypass the limit.

I don't feel I'm cheating the system, I sent them a check for the "real" paper. They returned it, saying they don't deliver to my area. BS. It's not like I live out in the sticks, I'm in the middle of a big city and can get the paper at a newsstand.

dvdclon

Second Unit
Real Name
David
What a disappointing title for a topic. I was hoping I could just scan my garbage and upload it to the internet for disposal. Of course, I would expect it to separate out the recyclables.

Then again, sometimes it appears that the internet is already full of garbage, so mine would continue to pile up here waiting for space to become available.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks