Internet Explorer / two hard drives question

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Jon_Are, May 9, 2003.

1. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

I've installed a second hard drive, so now I have a C and an F, each with a copy of Internet Explorer installed.

I thought it would be a good idea to make a separate shortcut to each application; this way, the kids (who would be using the C copy) won't accidently come across any....er...."mature" sites, which (I thought) would be confined to the F drive if I used that IE application.

Much to my surprise, when I change a setting on the C drive - such as the home page - it affects the F browser as well. Also, the history of visited sites on one drive shows up on the other as well.

I know this isn't a huge deal, but it has me baffled.

Jon

2. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    The programs are using the same registry settings, so the favorites folder points to C:WindowsFavorites.

What OS do you have? XP allows for mutiple user profiles that all have separate settings like Favorites in IE. There is a user profile feature in 98 and ME, but I haven't tried it out to see what you can and cannot do.

3. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

4. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    Rob, I think Jon installed a new HD with a fresh OS and bumped the old HD as a secondary drive. Since the old drive still had his program files, he ran IE within F:Program Files assuming it would point to another set of shortcuts.

Is that it, Jon?

5. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

That's it, Hanson.

I created two separate shortcuts for IE: one pointing toward the IE that is installed on the C drive, the other directed to a (separate) IE that is installed on the F drive.

Apparently, though they're on separate drives, they share some components through the registry settings (?).

Jon

6. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

By the way, Hanson, it's XP.

7. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    Jon, go into Control Panel/Users and set two profiles -- one for you and one for the kids. This will segregate your documents, pictures, and internet favorites. There should already be a profile for yourself -- set up one for the kids and have them log into that one. You can even protect yours with a password.

8. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Jon, as Hanson says you can create a personal login for everyone, each with their own desktop, favorites, even applications. If your drives are formatted in NTFS then each account will only be able to access those files it has rights to (which the administrator would set). If the drives are in FAT or FAT32 they'll be able to read any file.

Favorites is just a bunch of folders and files containing URLs but where the system looks for them is determined by the logon.

A simpler way would perhaps be to have a separate folder stored away somewhere containing the links for the sites you don't want them to see. You could then just double-click on those files when you wanted to use the site, but unless they specifically go looking 'round the system they wont see them.