Internet Explorer Public Preview Beta 3 Now Available

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Bryan X, Jul 1, 2006.

1. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

2. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

Son-of-a-bitch! Beta 3 won't install, and to even attempt the install I had to uninstall Beta 2. Now I'm stuck with IE6. I've gotten so used to 7 this really sucks. Microsoft has a few suggestions for this install error, none of which work. UGH!

UPDATE:

I was able to get IE 7 Beta 3 installed. If you are having problems with IE7 Beta 3 installing, boot into SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING and log in as ADMINISTRATOR. From there, install IE7 Beta 3. It installed flawlessly for me.

3. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

I also had to completely uninstall Beta 2, then restart, to get Beta 3 to install. However, I did a normal restart- no need for safe mode here.

4. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    I had to do the same thing as Bryan. I completlely removed Beta 2 and restated but it still wouldn't install. I had to go into Safe Mode and then run the install for it to install the software.

5. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Supporting Actor

I couldn't get Beta 2 to install at all, but Beta 3 went right through. It's really good so far, blazing internet speed, even with 10 things being downloaded on Bittorrent at the same time.

6. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

I uninstalled beat 2 just like the instructions said you had to do before I tried to install beta 3. I then rebooted and installed 3 without any problems.

Although for some reason ESPN's home page now does not load properly. It does with IE 6.

7. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

I just checked ESPN.com, Patrick. Loads fine for me.

8. Scott L

Scott L Producer

9. Scott L

Scott L Producer

10. Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang Screenwriter

Actually, if you're running Microsoft Update in Notify mode, you can actually avoid loading Internet Explorer 7.0 by not selecting it as an automatic download. [​IMG]

11. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Until IE7 offers the same flexibility of interface that IE6 does, I'm loath to make the upgrade.

12. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

I don't know about you guys but I find IE7 to be a buggy mess that constantly bothers you with messages of your "security settings" and runs significantly slower than IE6 ever did (I sadly need to run certain sites with IE as Firefox's cookie settings won't work with a few sites such as Netflix or EBay which no matter how I try just won't accept that FF is accepting cookies for either netflix or Ebay site).....but if there are a few tweaks you folks can recommend then I would be very grateful.

13. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Kevin what's not working in eBay with FF? I use FF all the time and haven't seen problems with eBay?

14. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

Kevin, I use Firefox with Netflix everyday, and never have any problems. It always keeps the cookie for the site. In fact, I can't remember the last time I had to login to their site on my home PC. I have it setup to delete all cookies at closing , but Netflix is one of the sites I have on my exceptions list in cookie settings in Firefox. You may want to make sure you have "cookies" unchecked if you do the "sanitze Firefox" at each closing.

I have IE7 beta3 installed, and haven't noticed any real problems with it. It doesn't seem any slower, but I really only use it for windows updates. My bank's site acts funny with Firefox, so I use Opera and it works flawlessly.

15. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Well after posting this I realised that I had recently installed the newest version of Firefox and now I can use Ebay & Netflix without any problems....odd.
    As far as IE7 goes I still have the slowdown problem and the constant "security messages"......if I chose to run the risk of running in a less than secure mode then I am to blame but is there a way to stop the constant pop-up messages from IE?

16. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

I run the IE7 beta on medium-high security and get no such messages. Nor is my system slower with IE7.

17. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

My system isn't slower, IE7 is. I just reset the security settings to the recommended settings and while I no longer get the annoying messages it is still slower than IE usually should be (being intergraded into the operating system and all).......weird.

18. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

Glad you aren't getting the messages now.

I should have phrased my response more carefully... IE7 isn't slower on my system than IE6 was either.

I'm not sure what would be causing the slowdown though. How much RAM do you have? I wouldn't think the requirements for IE7 would be much if any different though. I'm running 2GB of RAM.

19. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

I have 1G and that is more than enough for most any browser...and it doesn't matter really as IE6 ran faster on the same system, nothing has changed aside from the newer version of IE.

It's a moot point now anyway as the newer version of Firefox seems to run most every site (and their cookies) that I had trouble with before....IE is really only good to me now for updates.....I hope. [​IMG]

20. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer