Internet Explorer not opening

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Todd Stout, Oct 18, 2003.

1. Todd Stout

Todd Stout Screenwriter

Since Thursday evening, I have not been able to open Internet Explorer on my PC. Actually, what I am getting at the moment is IE opening and saying it's loading Yahoo.com (my home page) and then locking up before it does. I then click on the close button at the top of the window and get a "program not responding" error. This all started in the middle of surfing the Ineternet while I had two or three IE windows running. One locked up in middle of loading a page and then the rest started locking up when trying to go to a new Web site. I then closed them all and then IE wouldn't even open up again. Also, Netscape 7 continues to work fine for me.

Interestingly, IE is working fine on the other profile on this PC so this is a problem with only my profile. I am running Windows XP Home with IE 6 (I'm not sure exactly which version since I can't open it to see the version number).

Any ideas what could be causing this?

2. DeepakJR

DeepakJR Second Unit

Try opening a link from an instant message or somethign of the like. Then change your homepage in the IE settings. This happened to me a few weeks back, and this fixed it. Good Luck.

L8rz,
    Deepak Jr.

3. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

You can change the homepage by going into the Control Panel >> Internet Settings.

4. Todd Stout

Todd Stout Screenwriter

I actually resorted to doing a system restore to the day before my troubles began. That ended up fixing the problem. I found mention of trying to change the home page on a few Web sites but I couldn't figure out how to do that with the computer acting the way it was. Without even realizing it, Windows Help had opened a link on Microsoft's Web site in IE but by the time I noticed, IE froze up again. It actually took me about three attempts to get system restore to run too. Even that was locking up on me and causing me to reboot. Thankfully, all is well again... or so it appears.

Thank you for the suggestions.