Internet Explorer language problems...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DonnyD, Mar 31, 2002.

1. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

I've noticed certain threads are in symbols.... just gibberish although it is usually only the body of the post... not the sig. I've also noticed this on some other sites too. I've upgraded to IE6.0 recently and thought this may the culprit but so far I haven't fixed it.

One such post here is by "NickSo"..... his posts are always those symbols or gibberish but I've noticed no one ever posts anything about it so it must be the language support in the version of IE6 I am running.

Any input is appreciated. Sure would like to figure this out before I have to go to the 'puter guru....

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Donny,
    Unfortunately, the HTF now allows users to pick the font for their posts. Fonts in IE, or browsers in general, have to be on the computer of the person reading- so if NickSo has picked a font your computer does not have or does not recognize properly- it will default to another (sometimes in the same "family, sometimes the next one in the alphabetical list).
    NIck has chosen to use Comic Sans MS for all of his posts. Comic Sans a "non-standard" text font, and even if it is working right it is difficult in itself to read. Then, in your case if you don't have Comic Sans MS on your machine (or your browser gets confused, which also sometimes happens)-- it will choose another font to display Nicks' posts.
    I personally have a dozen different posters who have picked "cute" fonts I don't choose to have on my comp- so the text sometimes defaults to symbols or unreadable font. I usually just don't worry about it, figure it's their loss for picking a font other than the default [​IMG]
    Don't know what solution could be offered, besides going back to keeping a standard font for all posters.
    -Vince

3. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    The first thing you should do is update your browser to the latest version. In Internet Explorer, click on "Tools", then "Windows Update". If IE is already up to date, install it again at http://www.microsoft.com/ie . What you need to do during the install is load as many language packs as possible. Ignore the input methods and the text menus, just stick with the displayed languages. Since you already have IE loaded on your computer, the installer will only load the components that are missing.
    There's no guarantee this will fix all of your language problems, but it should make it easier to look at non-English language sites. And you might end up loading the fonts you need to read all the messages.

4. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Perhaps a solution is to have the Font tag generated by vBulletin have a "backup" font that is standard. The HTML font tag lets you list multiple faces; e.g. "FONT FACE="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica", which causes the browser to use Arial if possible, if not use Verdana, etc. So put a default font into the FONT FACE tag after the poster's chosen font and it should "fall back" if the font is unavailable.

KJP

5. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Kevin:

The script does default to verdana, arial, then helvetica as the standard if no font is selected.

Parker

6. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Parker,
    Certainly true- however I think the point was to add those defaults (verdana, arial, then helvetica) to the end of the font tag, even when someone has selected an alternate font (not just in the case where no font was selected).
    Sometimes members choose fonts that DO NOT show up on the reader's end- and if you don't stipulate a substitute, well windows finds one for you (often one that is not readable).
    I think the poster above suggested that even if a member selects a custom font, it might be worthwhile to have the script stick in verdana, arial, helvetica as substitutes on every post after the user's selected font, in order to assure that windows will choose a suitable display font, even if the first font on the list is not available.
    So, for example, if I were to select "Royal Pain" as my default font in my control panel-- the script would automatically make the font tag "Royal Pain, verdana, arial, helvetica" so users who do not have Royal Pain on their PC would automatically see Verdan... rather than whatever font windows decided was a fair substitue for Royal Pain.
    Hope that is more clear.
    -V

7. Parker Clack

Parker
    Vince:

I will check into doing that.

Parker

8. Parker Clack

Parker
    I have set this so that the font default to what ever the member choses, then verdana and then arial. So if the member choses a font that your browser doesn't support then verdana is chosen and then arial. This will only apply to those post made after today and not affect those posts previously made by a member.

So if some one is using a font that makes the post look like garbage this should take care of it.

Donny let me know if this continues to be a problem with newer posts.

Parker