Internet Explorer... ARGGG

Seungsoo Hwang

Stunt Coordinator
well i am on windows ME and it would only let me revert back to 5.5, not completely do a fresh uninstall. And the only difference im getting is that for 5.5 it doesnt ask for me to send an error report (like they actually read those billions of messages they get). and yes, i hate netscape and have hated its interface for a long time now, wont be using that. What kind of errors am i getting? In getting errors, great huh? I dont have anything overclocked either, i really cant figure out what the problem is.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
quote: i hate netscape and have hated its interface for a long time now, wont be using that.[/quote]
Ha! Ha! Ha! You're using Windows and complaining about Netscape's interface.

IEs interface in Windows is the pits, they should take a few lessons from their own IE Mac team and the folks at OMNI. This is really silly, Netscape 5ish/6 prebetas and demos stunk out the joint, but they had the best #1,#2,#3,#4,and now #6. How long could you have hated it's interface and operation, Really?
[Edited last by Joseph S on October 06, 2001 at 12:41 AM]

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Well...it seems that my freezing problem in no longer isolated to IE. It happened to me twice in DVD Profiler. So, thinking it could be a hardware problem, I opened up the case and cleaned out all the dust. If it continues I'll look into getting new RAM. I have 128MB, but I could always go for more.

By the way, I've got a VIA mobo, and a AMD Athlon 750MHz cpu, all bought at Fry's. I've heard recently that there are issues with the VIA mobo and AMD cpus, but I haven't had problems this bad in the past year since I built it.
------------------
Bill

Kevin T

Screenwriter
i'm running ie6 on win2000 and have yet to have a single incident so far. previously, my ie5.5 would crash every now and then. netscape used to be my fave for years. up til around the 4.7x then i swear it would crash at least once a week. i bore with it for close to a year upgrading up to 6.0 (talk about product loyalty) and then it began crashing everyday! that was the last straw for me. i'll never use netscape to browse the web again. i only use composer to rough up webpages and communicator 4.7? to check compatiability. all my normal web usage is strictly ie from now on.
kevin t

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
One URL: http://www.opera.com
Faster, sleeker and works well enough. Still some kinks to work out but it's getting there. Already much much faster than IE where it counts. Sure, minor learning curve, but once you get used to it you can't go back.
------------------
/Kimmo

Andre F

Screenwriter
Last time I installed IE6 I ended up reinstalling my machine. I think I'll wait a while before I do it again even though it's no longer in beta.
-Andre F
------------------
-= Take your stinking paws off me you damn dirty ape! =-

Andre F

Screenwriter
My experiences with various browsers:
Netscape: slow and buggy
Opera: after some use, it just outright crashes on a regular basis (I like the MDI view however)
Netcaptor: Neat idea, but it's buggy
IE6: Reinstall all of my data after using it for a while
IE5 (any version): Seems to work the best out of all them. I always end up going to back to it.
My winner is IE5. Sorry for the rambling but this is touchy subject for me. I'm always on the lookout for a new browser.
-Andre F
------------------
-= Take your stinking paws off me you damn dirty ape! =-

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Not my experience with Opera at all... and in 99% of all crashes it does experience, it will remember the windows you had open, so it is at worst a minor inconvenience to have to doubleclick the icon to restart it.
Flaws and all, I really think it is the most usable of all the browsers... especially if you, like me, are prone to type in web addresses rather than search for them in bookmarks. Hands down the fastest at that - start the browser, hit CTRL-N (or double-click on the browser background) and just start typing. No need to wait 10 seconds for it to churn like IE to tell you that no page has been loaded...
------------------
/Kimmo

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NC_Mike