Internet Explorer... ARGGG

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Seungsoo Hwang, Oct 4, 2001.

1. Seungsoo Hwang

Seungsoo Hwang Stunt Coordinator

Hi, Im having problems with internet explorer (surprised?! [​IMG]). I installed IE6 and i kept getting these errors lately (didnt happen at first). Every time I close a IE window I get some error (unknown) and asks whether or not i want to send a error report etc.. and says it needs to close the already closed window. I uninstalled IE6 and now it doesnt ask me about that error report but it otherwise does the same thing. Does anyone know what is going on and how to fix it? aghhhhhh
    thanks

2. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    I had the same problems with IE6 (I hate the think how many messages their IE6 error report e-mail account is getting, but it must be astronomical). It absolutely drove me nuts; this version is by far the worst installment of IE yet.
    Did you reinstall IE6 or return to an older version? I reinstalled IE5.5 and have had no more problems.
    Adam

3. Larry Schneider

Larry Schneider Second Unit

Netscape!

4. Seungsoo Hwang

Seungsoo Hwang Stunt Coordinator

I uninstalled the IE6, and it says that my version is now 5.5, but i do i go about "reinstalling" it?

5. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

I had been thinking about installing 6.0, but this thread is just further evidence why I will stick with IE 5.5 (a product which is far superior to Netscape IMO).
    ------------------

6. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    I simply uninstalled IE using the Windows add/remove programs option and then reinstalled 5.5 from CD.
    Adam

7. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Alfie
    Glad I skipped this MS update. I heard a while back that it was quite trouble prone, so I kept my good ol' 5.5 which has been practically trouble free from the get go. (knock on wood)
    Alfer
    ------------------
    Check out my new Home Theater site and my NEW HT 6.1 Pic's at The Enormodome
    Join my new Yahoo "Club Enormodome" for LIVE HT and DVD chats at: Club Enormodome

8. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

I'm glad I haven't fell victim to the 6.0 upgrade...long live 5.5 baby!
    ------------------
    Chuck
    http://www.hometheaterinsider.com

9. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

N-E-T-S-C-A-P-E or M-O-Z-I-L-L-A or O-P-E-R-A
    They even support plug-ins. [​IMG]

10. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

I have had the oppsite experience. IE6 has been running perfectly and has yet to crash one time. On the other hand 5.5 would would crash quite frequently, especially on certain pop ups. I am going to knock on wood...IE6 don't fail me now.
    J
    ------------------
    Don't be a luddy-duddy! Don't be a mooncalf! Don't be a jabbernowl!

11. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    I've had less trouble with IE 6.0 than I had with 5.5. I upgraded the day it was released to general public, and it's only crashed twice, and then when I was running 9 or 10 simultaneous tasks. 5.5 would crash at least once a day with me.
    I would stick with Netscape, but I don't like AOL.
    ------------------
    http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=mport_drivrCasa del Clint

12. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

What kind of errors are you getting? I'm running IE6 on Win2K SP2 and haven't had any problems for about 2 months now.
    I do have Opera, Multizilla 0.9.4 and Netscape 6.1 (my job requires that I have a lot of browsers to test for page compatibilities) on my machine as well, but I prefer to surf with IE6. It seems to render pages faster, with the exception of Opera but I can't stand the lost space to the ads.

13. Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer Screenwriter

I'm having no problems with IE6.0 and I never had a problem running IE5.5 and that's on WinME. it doesn't get less stable than this baby

14. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

I've seen not a single reason to upgrade from 5.01 SP2. I've tried 5.5 (slower) and 6 but have to see a good reason to keep them.
    Opera is nice. Netscape has stunk for a long time and I can't see me ever going back to it.

15. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I had errors after I loaded up 6 too, but they went away by themselves after a few days. You shouldn't have given up so easily.
    Glenn

16. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I get the odd error with 6 on XP but for the most part its been stable for me.
    ------------------
    http://www.mts.net/~glendap/

17. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

I've been having some irritating problems with IE ever since I upgraded IE5.5 to service pack 2. It would often just freeze up on me. It always seemed to happen just out of the blue. The page would be fully loaded, no other apps running, I move my mouse up to click the Back button and boom...frozen. I went so far as to completely reformat the hard drive and install everything from scratch. After installing IE5.5 SP2 again...same thing. So I downgraded back to 5.0 and it still happens.
    Anybody got any idea what's going on? I also can't uninstall IE (I'm using Win98 SE). I can only revert back to previous installs using the Add/Remove Programs control panel. I'd like to completely uninstall it and reinstall it fresh to see if that fixes it. I've also found Netscape to be a bit slower, so please don't offer that as a solution.
    ------------------
    Bill [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

19. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

I had similar problems with IE 6. It would quietly crash for no reason, ask to send the error report, and then re-start itself every 10 minutes or so. I tried Netscape and got more reliable browsing but it is slower than IE 6.
    Eventually, I found out that IE 6 just didn't like my video card overclocked. It seems to be the only application that behaves oddly when my GF3 is overclocked. Now I just OC right before loading a game.

20. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer