Internet Explorer 6

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Josh W, Aug 8, 2002.

1. Josh W

Josh W Agent

I'm having a problem with this program, and was wondering if anyone has seen this, or has ideas to try. My friend downloaded IE6 onto his laptop, and every time a page loads it freezes for 30 seconds. He's running a Windows 2000 workstation, after the problem he tried to reload the Windows software on. Which wiped out the uninstall files.

I've had him try to reload IE5.5 but won't happen because a newer version is detected. I've had him download IE6 again and try to reinstall it, but that didn't restore the uninstall files. So he's can't properly uninstall it, and can't seem to over write it. Are there any other ideas? Thanks for your help.

2. Scott Barnhart

Scott Barnhart Stunt Coordinator

I had a problem similar to this when I upgraded my Win2K box to IE6. The problem turned out to be that IE6 does NOT ship with a Java Runtime anymore. The page I was going to needed Java, and it was causing a big mess. I finally figured out that I needed to download the Win2K Java Runtime from Sun (http://java.sun.com/getjava/download.html) and that cleared up all my problems with IE6. Maybe it will for your friend, also.

3. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

It may also be IE trying to find a proxy server or detect settings...check your internet control panel and under connections, lan settings make sure nothing is checked (unless you know you need it of course).

Don't try to uninstall and downgrade IE. It causes all kinds of problems.

4. Ricky Hustle

Ricky Hustle Supporting Actor

5. Josh W

Josh W Agent

Great, thanks everybody for the help.