1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Internet Browsers: What are YOU using? (And why?)

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Mike Frezon, Sep 17, 2017.

1. 81 Nov 16, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    ^ Yeah, I have auto-update etc. disabled, I do it all manually. So it's my mistake that I didn't keep track of which most-recent version I liked, and went back to a definitely-known-good version that was fairly "old".

I didn't even know you could change certain things in the UI, besides some really trivial ones, I just assumed you needed a "developer's kit" or such to do it. I never really looked into it... So thanks for the info, maybe I could have fixed some of the things that caused me to reject other versions over the years if I had known.

I do appreciate that the FF developers made this change in order to speed up the loading process. I really don't have that prob, even with 30+ tabs always open, this PC is extremely fast and is by far limited by my internet speed, and still FF works extremely well. The diff between this PC and my previous ones is amazing, I never thought it would make the slightest diff to web browsing of all things, not exactly a resource-intensive app, in general, least compared to some other stuff (like games). So FF's reputation as a memory hog and being sluggish disappeared from my perception (I built this PC as a "gaming PC", but almost never use it for that).

2. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Well, I forgot that I had re-enabled the auto update mode of my FF (since the browser REALLY BOGGED DOWN once I had switched it off). It had immemdiately perked up again once i flipped the switch back. And then I forgot I had done it...but what was I to do anyway?

Regardless. my home laptop now has the new FF on it.

I've got to admit, it is WAY faster than what the old FF had become.

But now I'm going to be forced to go under the hood to move those damn tabs to where they rightly belong. And I hope colorful tabs catches up soon. They should! After all, it seems like they would send out an update nearly every week under the old FF format.

3. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
  4. theJman

theJman Stunt Coordinator

Jim
    I got on the FF 57 beta feed over 2 months ago, and for me it's worked quite well. There are still occasional glitches, but no browser I have ever used has worked 100% of the time on 100% of the sites. 57 is definitely faster than previous versions, but it does eat more memory for sure. Not as bad as Chrome though. I'm running 58b4 at this very moment and that's working fine too.

5. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    Generally use Chrome as well we develop with it. Why is it that Microsoft cannot put out a decent browser to save their lives? IE is the biggest POS, possibly only ousted by Edge. Absolute garbage.

6. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    The last time I tried IE a few days ago, it immediately went into webpage recovery mode, which for me is worse than Edge's performance, these days. :rolleyes:

CHEERS! :)

7. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I DID IT! :D :D :D

Thanks, Howie! All is right in my world...sorta. For a dumb guy, I'm proud of myself.

I had no problem, making the userchrome.css file in Notepad. I kept it from becoming a .txt files by changing the dropdown menu in Notepad (when saving the file) to All Files rather than Text Files.

I didn't make any of your other changes as I'm not exactly sure what they all do. :wacko:

Colorful Tabs even let me know tonight they have come up with a version for the new FF...but it doesn't work right. I suspect they'll have the bugs worked out soon. In the meantime, I've disabled it. It was turning the background behind FF a dark black, making it extremely difficult to read the non-active tabs.

BobO'Link likes this.
  8. Stan

Stan Producer

Used to use Chrome, just not impressed.

Currently alternate between Firefox and Edge.

Never noticed the CPU issue with Edge, but if things slow down a bit, basic clean up and reboot always seems to clear up issues.

Used to be one of those computer guru types for about 25 years, but not so much anymore. Just the basics. I'm also very careful about add-ons, stay away from most things and just use Win10 and whatever browser I choose. Rarely have problems, very generic machine, no tweaking to get a certain program to run, laptop is slightly over a year old, all pre-installed and for the most part have left it alone.

No details on why I didn't like Chrome, only had it a few weeks, but it had to go.

9. dvdclon

dvdclon Second Unit
    Supporter

David
    I recently ran into the Brave browser (from brave.com) It's based on Chromium and I don't think it's been mentioned in this thread yet. It's aimed at improving internet privacy and ad blocking. I haven't used it much yet, but it's another worth keeping an eye on.

10. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    That's what it is advertised as.

So far I haven't been able to figure out what algorithms Brave is using to do ad blocking, etc ... Hopefully it's at least on par with Ad Block plus and noscript.

11. theJman

Jim
    IIRC, Brave will block ads from companies that haven't paid them to whitelist theirs. If advertisers ponying up you may see ads start to show up.

12. dvdclon

dvdclon Second Unit
    Supporter

David
    Their FAQ (https://community.brave.com/t/all-about-ad-blocking/10004) sheds a little light on this, if you haven't already seen it.

jcroy likes this.
  13. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

This thread bump prompted me to check and see if ColorfulTabs is yet fixed with the new FF versions.

Short answer: Nope.

Too bad.

14. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Are you still looking for a colorful tab?

[​IMG]

Stan likes this.
  15. Stan

Stan Producer

I actually paid to get true ad-blocking, I thought. The garbage that shows up is ridiculous. And so many pages are designed so the ads load first, then finally the content you're looking for. Of course guess what, didn't make the slightest difference, so not paying that bill ever again.

Probably makes no difference. I'm just one teeny, tiny little user, but I never, ever click on pop-ups or other ads on the page. The worst is when you're trying to read something and behind the scenes some video with sound has been loading and starts playing. Sometimes can't even find it to shut it up, so I just turn off my speakers.

Actually haven't noticed much difference with between Edge, Firefox or Chrome. I'll give Brave a try.

16. Stan

Stan Producer

Windows 10, using Firefox. Absolutely flawless. Edge was a joke. Finally settled on Firefox and things run so much better.

Signed up with an ad-blocker (normally don't fall for those things, but thought I'd try). One free test week. So far it's fantastic. Don't know the name, but I'll post when the renewal comes up. So much crap just goes away, pages load incredibly fast, it's really good. Actually the crap doesn't go away, it just never appears.

With our local paper, every link you opened, a pop-up to get their app. Now it has vanished. I use MSN as a home-page and it's so much faster now.

Blocks HTF stuff, but I'll work that out with the staff.

Currently Firefox is my choice. Definitely stay away from Edge, ad capital of the world.

17. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    After some tweaking of the css file I'm fairly happy with Firefox Quantum (currently on 58.0.1 64 bit). I've been using uMatrix in place of NoScript for blocking/tweaking JAVA and Flash, and AdBlock Plus to handle ad blocking. It's mostly working pretty good.

I absolutely hated the new interface for NoScript plus uMatrix provides more granular control over what's allowed/blocked. I've only run into a couple of sites (no - don't recall just which but they were large well known ones) that I had trouble getting to load and "fell back" on IE for a minute. IIRC they later worked OK so who knows what was going on.

I've only tried Edge a couple of times and was less than pleased with its operation. I'm unlikely to bother with it again.

One of my systems has IceDragon installed with all my legacy plugins. It's pretty good but I have an occasional odd issue with GMail (work - no choice) locking up forcing a restart of the tab.

18. theJman

Jim
    Would the css changes happen to be for making the tabs look good again? If so, can you PM me what you did? I tried to make changes with some options I found on the internet, but the tabs look the same. Other then that, I think the new FF isn't bad (it is a memory hog though).

19. 99 Feb 8, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Basically, I took them back to "square" shape and put them below the URL bar - where they belong.

Most of what I did can be found in a few of my previous posts:

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/internet-browsers-what-are-you-using-and-why.354230/page-5#post-4547028

and

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/internet-browsers-what-are-you-using-and-why.354230/page-4#post-4546563

and

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/internet-browsers-what-are-you-using-and-why.354230/page-4#post-4546607

I'll have to poke around in the file to see exactly what I might have done with the tabs... I'll try to post that sometime tomorrow as it's on my primary work computer. I've not made the changes at home - still using IceDragon or a pre-FF Quantum version or a chromebook there. The chromebook is work issued and I use it for testing purposes checking plugins, and that work applied policy and filtering works properly off site. Using it at home works better as I don't have to switch to a computer for management type stuff there and get a better "end user" feeling.

20. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I guess ColorfulTabs must have given up on Firefox.

It's still not working for me.