Internet Browsers: What are YOU using? (And why?)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The problem with forking the code base is you may lose community support and all the bug fixes and enhancements that go along with it. Or maybe the community starts a new fork and everyone begins using that to underpin their browsers, leaving Google on the outside looking in. That, to me, would be the ideal outcome.
At best all one can do in the absence of having any veto power, is to hope that the project crashes and burns and/or a fork is done.

For example if Google Chrome ends up fully implementing its anti-ad-blocking stuff, one can hope that a fork is done which the prominent developers end up defecting to. (Similar to what @theJman outlined in a previous post in this thread).

From an historical perspective, there have been precedents of an open source project being forked with many of the developers defecting to the fork. The biggest and fastest one I can think of offhand which has been documented, is the downfall of XFree86.

Back in the day circa 1990s, XFree86 was essentially the de facto standard for X Windows on Linux and the *BSDs.

Due to infighting and a change of license, just about everybody largely abandoned XFree86 like a sinking ship and moved on the X Org fork. (The last time XFree86 was updated was in 2008)

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Owner
Real Name
Dave Upton
Hmmmm .....

uMatrix development going inactive.

This used to be quite important to me, but nowadays I mostly use edge chromium and brave. Brave seems to do fine for most of what I need

theJman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
uMatrix development going inactive.

I don't now that uMatrix was used by a lot of people, but uBlock certain is. If they lock that code base it suggests Google is about to pull the API's allowing an extension like it to exist. Unless someone forks the code base that still has the API's it looks like Brave, Vivaldi and whatever other browser has built in ad blocking will be the only way to go. Firefox is still an option as well.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Owner
Real Name
Dave Upton
I don't now that uMatrix was used by a lot of people, but uBlock certain is. If they lock that code base it suggests Google is about to pull the API's allowing an extension like it to exist. Unless someone forks the code base that still has the API's it looks like Brave, Vivaldi and whatever other browser has built in ad blocking will be the only way to go. Firefox is still an option as well.
The writing has been on the wall for a while as far as chrome was concerned. Google makes most of its money from advertising, and they are just trying to kill ad blocking off gradually enough that people will keep using their browser.

The bigger concern is if they start to modify rights to the use of chromium and this prevents Brave and other browsers like edge from using adblock APIs without forking the base code.

theJman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
The bigger concern is if they start to modify rights to the use of chromium and this prevents Brave and other browsers like edge from using adblock APIs without forking the base code.
I'm not sure they could do that. Chromium is open source, with non-Google contributors outnumbering Google employees by maybe 10-to-1 at this point. With the lions share of the development being outside of Google it seems to me as though they wouldn't be able to claim ownership. But who knows, maybe with their deep pockets they have a way of doing it. Wouldn't surprise me to be honest.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
If there is any attempt to "close source" chromium, most likely the final open source version will be forked.

So unless google is about to "buy out" or hiring ALL those chromium programmers as official google employees, there isn't much they can do about non-google programmers defecting to a fork'd version that remains open source.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr

theJman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
Well that's surely interesting - and long overdo - but I wonder if it's just smoke and mirrors. I remember the antitrust lawsuits against Microsoft and how little they did. If history is anything to go by this is likely to be similar, a huge waste of taxpayer money with no discernible benefit.

Forum Sponsors

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An Elvis Fan