Internet Browsers: What are YOU using? (And why?)

jcroy

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
jr
Also it appears browser.urlbar.update1 is no longer available as a "hidden" option in about:config

(ie. It does nothing when browser.urlbar.update1 is manually created by hand in about:config, and set to false).

So this new annoying urlbar is now "permanent" in Firefox 78. (FF78 will eventually be released on June 30, 2020 according to the Firefox release calendar).

jcroy

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
jr
Grrrrrrrrrrrr .....

Hopefully a fix will be created to go back to the old urlbar, that ends up eventually in the Aris-t2 CustomCSSforFx suite,

Looking through old.reddit.com/r/FirefoxCSS/ to see if anybody is working on this.

jcroy

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
jr
Blah.

The browser.urlbar.update1 "hidden" option in about:config has also been removed entirely in the beta Firefox (77) version.

Firefox 77 is schedule to be released on June 2, 2020 in less than two weeks.

jcroy

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
jr
Grrrrrrrrrrrr .....

Hopefully a fix will be created to go back to the old urlbar, that ends up eventually in the Aris-t2 CustomCSSforFx suite,

Looking through old.reddit.com/r/FirefoxCSS/ to see if anybody is working on this.
Somebody has already found a partial solution to get back the old url bar.

Disabling pop-out effect of address bar in FF77?

jcroy

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
jr
/* REMOVE MEGABAR START
* VERSION 1.0.3
* CODE AT: http://userchrome.wesleybranton.com/megabar
* RELEASE NOTES: http://userchrome.wesleybranton.com/notes/megabar */
@-moz-document url(chrome://browser/content/browser.xhtml) {
/* DISABLE EXPANDING START */
#urlbar[breakout][breakout-extend] {
top: calc((var(--urlbar-toolbar-height) - var(--urlbar-height)) / 2) !important;
left: 0 !important;
width: 100% !important;
}

#urlbar[breakout][breakout-extend] > #urlbar-input-container {
height: var(--urlbar-height) !important;
padding-block: 0 !important;
padding-inline: 0 !important;
}

#urlbar[breakout][breakout-extend] > #urlbar-background {
animation-name: none !important;
box-shadow: 0 1px 4px rgba(0, 0, 0, .05) !important;
}
/* DISABLE EXPANDING END */

/* REMOVE URL RESULT PADDING START */
.urlbarView {
margin-inline: 0 !important;
width: 100% !important;
}

.urlbarView-row {
padding-block: 0 !important;
}
/* REMOVE URL RESULT PADDING END */

/* MOVE URL RESULT TYPE ICON TO LEFT START */
.urlbarView-type-icon {
min-width: 16px !important;
height: 16px !important;
margin-bottom: 0 !important;
margin-inline-start: 0 !important;
}

.urlbarView-favicon {
margin-inline-start: 20px !important;
}
/* MOVE URL RESULT TYPE ICON TO LEFT END */
}
/* REMOVE MEGABAR END */

jcroy

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
jr
Other than the history dropdown arrow still missing, and the font of "Search with Google or enter address" inside the url bar looking slightly different.

Last edited:

jcroy

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
jr
(Thinking about this more).

I suspect if Bill Gates and Steve Jobs didn't have an absolute veto over the design of their respective operating systems, then most likely today we would still be using a command line prompt or a really nasty clunky graphical user interface.
(Elaborating more details).

Back in the day, the hardcore computer programmer types I knew in person, were almost always the type of individuals who were into finding the most indecipherable ways of doing things in a very compact "elegant" manner (as paradoxical this may sound). This meant that everything was done at the command line, such that their "wizardry" is only understood and respected by other hardcore computer types. In those days, such folks were in love with stuff like extremely obfuscated C programming code.

Graphical user interfaces were the complete antithesis of their MO. Basically ms windows 3.11, macs, X Windows, etc .... would completely make their "mad skillz" redundant/superfluous.

jcroy

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
jr
It would have taken a "fearless leader" with a lot of cash, to make a gui system actually viable.

Basically the people with the "mad skillz" who had the technical proficiency to designed and build a huge system like mswindoze or macs, had to be "bought" at high cost with a veto hammer over their heads in designing and programming something they don't believe in.

jcroy

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
jr
(ie. Everyone has their "price point" for which they can be "bought" by the dark side).

theJman

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Real Name
Jim
Before GUI's - and even in their early years - part of my job was programming and I never met anyone in that field who deliberately tried to make things indecipherable. There were bad programming styles and those who didn't comment code, but no one went out of their way to confuse. A lot of those folks were simply nerds, the D&D disciples. The command line was just the interface to the OS, and even for those of us well versed there were still some vexing moments. It's like Linux today; it takes a bizarre sequence of commands and obscure options all arranged in a particular order with careful attention paid to capitalization. At least with DOS there was nothing case sensitive.

jcroy

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
jr
A lot of those folks were simply nerds, the D&D disciples.
D&D wasn't hardcore enough for such individuals! ;)

They were into Rolemaster and other more complicated systems.

jcroy

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
jr
(For context).

For such individuals, D&D has two (or more) different unrelated meanings for which they were hardcore into in all applicable cases. :)

jcroy

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
jr
Before GUI's - and even in their early years - part of my job was programming and I never met anyone in that field who deliberately tried to make things indecipherable. There were bad programming styles and those who didn't comment code, but no one went out of their way to confuse.
This is how proper "professional" computer programing should be done.

For the hardcore folks, this "professional" manner of doing things is completely beneath them. (ie. Basically what Howie @BobO'Link here has been describing as "arrogant and pretentious" many times previously in this thread).

jcroy

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
jr
It's like Linux today; it takes a bizarre sequence of commands and obscure options all arranged in a particular order with careful attention paid to capitalization. At least with DOS there was nothing case sensitive.
In a more general sense, this is probably why Linux was largely an utter failure on the desktop.

In spite of the herculean efforts of the folks managing the various gui setups on Linux (or the *BSDs), back in the day the programmers never quite understood what exactly appealed to Joe Sixpack and Jane Doe. For exampe, it took forever for X Windows based systems to finally do anti-aliasing properly, Though by then, it was too little too late to matter anymore. (ie. MS windoze and mac completely ruled the roost by then).

jcroy

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
jr
Basically hardcore nerdy/geeky types completely misread and/or were willfully ignorant of the notion that the gui is EVERYTHING for Joe Sixpack and Jane Q Public.

(ie. Bill Gates and earlier Steve Jobs understood this).

theJman

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Real Name
Jim
There's a lot of truth in that. Because I have been in IT for over 35 years I've taught many of my family and friends how to use computers. I know for a fact that without a GUI a large portion of them simply would not be using a computer today, especially those from generations before me.

jcroy

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
jr
Ironically, the extreme hardcore geeky/nerdy types completely eschew Linux nowdays. Especially if they also have a paranoia mindset.

For such hardcore "arrogant and pretentious" folks with a paranoia/persecution complex, their operating system of choice is OpenBSD. Perhaps not surprisingly, the head of the OpenBSD project seems to be a very paranoid + arrogant type person himself. (Dunno about pretentious).

Dennis Nicholls

Executive Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Dennis
I started with punch cards and Algol around 1972. I think IT work sucks because the rules constantly keep changing on you. Now that I'm retired it's even worse. Just playing around with Win 10 drives me nuts somedays.

theJman

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Real Name
Jim
I started with punch cards and Algol around 1972. I think IT work sucks because the rules constantly keep changing on you. Now that I'm retired it's even worse. Just playing around with Win 10 drives me nuts somedays.
Ironically, that's the very thing about IT that attracts me; the fact it's always changing. I get bored easy but in this profession I don't have to worry about things becoming stale because it constantly evolves.

jcroy

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
jr
I have to wonder what has happened to all the experienced C programmers over the past 20+ years.

The few assignments/contracts I got over the years doing C, it seems like the previous programmers didn't know how to deal with pointers properly. (Basically I was unknowingly hired to clean up somebody else's mess).

Do they still even teach what pointers and memory allocation is, in computer science college classes these days?

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jessicalen