Internet Browsers: What are YOU using? (And why?)

jcroy

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
jr
More generally, this is the type of stuff THAT I'm willing to overlook all the other annoyances in current versions of Firefox and Chromium based browsers.

I'll update largely to deal with current/recent security holes, even with all the annoynace factors of other stuff like disabling junk, useless new features, etc ....

I'm not willing to deal anymore with the headaches of security holes in previous browser versions, regardless of "cosmetic" issues.

BobO'Link

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Howie
The only truly secure browser or OS is the one that's never connected to the internet. I've not tested this in several years but as recent as 5 years ago you could put an unpatched copy of Windows 2000 on the internet and it'd be infected before any updates could dl. Without you doing anything but plugging in the network cable. The last few servers we built at work with this version of the OS had to be fully patched and hardened off-line before connecting them to the internet. I was never so glad to see the back end of an OS in my life as the day we shut down our last W2K server.

Rodney

Cinematographer
Premium
Reaction score
It's been a month now using Brave as my default browser, and it hasn't missed a beat. I haven't had to open up another browser for any sites (knock on wood). It's still fast. I did have one issue with it on my Mac Mini, but a restart fixed the problem for me.

theJman

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Real Name
Jim
Brave has proven to be quite nice for me as well. Have you read any of their blogs? It's not just another browser based on Chromium, they have a whole design concept and unique strategy around what they're doing. The tech behind it is pretty interesting.

John*Wells

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
John
I use Safari because I converted to all Apple devices.

I seem to have a problem though. YouTube doesn’t seem to support webcam created videos in Safari. They invited me to download chrome on my Mac which I’m not going to do

BobO'Link

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Howie
Firefox v75 brings more "enhancement" crap to fix (stuff that wasn't broken to start with!). This time it's an "expanding" URL bar. You open a new tab or click on the bar and it *gets larger* PLUS provides a drop-down list of your most frequently visited sites. Don't like this? I don't - stupid "feature" yet again!

That all said, if you don’t like any of Mozilla’s changes, you can disable them to return yourself to the old-school address bar experience.

There are four entries to change in Firefox’s about:config preferences to restore the "normal" address bar:

• browser.urlbar.openViewOnFocus
  • browser.urlbar.update1
  • browser.urlbar.update1.interventions
  • browser.urlbar.update1.searchTips
Set all of these to FALSE and restart FF. BOOM! Old, no crap needed, address bar is back (well... not the truly "good" old one from ~v45 or so but better than the new crap).

Reactions: jcroy

jcroy

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
jr
I also outright deleted default-browser-agent.exe from the Firefox directory. It is Mozilla's new telemetry junk in FF75.

BobO'Link

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Howie
I've had that disabled for some time as I only use firefox "portable" (essentially - I don't allow their telemetry to run at all - ever). Since it's a portable app it can't set up a scheduled task as it might not be on the same machine the next time its run and setting that up could create unwanted error messages.

jcroy

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
jr
For that matter every time I update FF, I've also been outright deleting the browser/features subdirectory in the Firefox directory since I don't use any of the built-in *.xpi addons features.

(Unfortunately some these "built-in" features eventually make their way into the main FF source tree, typically in the omni.ja files).

BobO'Link

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Howie
Well... it seems the "expanding" address bar "animation" is still there... so... you need to add this to your userChrome.css file:

/* based on https://old.reddit.com/comments/fwhlva//fmolndz */
#urlbar[breakout][breakout-extend] {
top: calc((var(--urlbar-toolbar-height) - var(--urlbar-height)) / 2) !important;
left: 0 !important;
width: 100% !important;
}
#urlbar[breakout][breakout-extend] > #urlbar-input-container {
height: var(--urlbar-height) !important;
padding-block: 0px !important;
padding-inline: 0px !important;
}
#urlbar[breakout][breakout-extend][breakout-extend-animate] > #urlbar-background {
animation-name: none !important;
}
#urlbar[breakout][breakout-extend] > #urlbar-background {
box-shadow: none !important;
}

------------------------------------------------------------

In addition:

The megabar pref browser.urlbar.update1 to allow going back to the old version of the bar will be removed entirely as of Firefox 77.

(Source: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1627969)

The so-called "developers" of firefox have completely lost their collective minds and forgotten how to design a truly useful, customizable, UI. I'm getting sick and tired of the constant "whack a mole" game to keep ff functional and dump the useless "features" they come up with. I *despise* chrome (and *all* of its progeny/variants/forks) and none of the ff forks are worth keeping up with. Many succumb to the feature creep of ff anyway.

jcroy

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
jr
... and none of the ff forks are worth keeping up with.
The biggest issues I've had with FF forks, is how they seem to be a generation behind when it comes to dealing with security holes. Most likely this can be attributed to not enough "eyes" examining the code, and not enough manpower to fix problems.

In a more general sense, I also found this to be the case for less popular operating systems such as NetBSD, OpenBSD (ironically), older versions of Windoze, etc ... Not enough eyes + manpower to find and deal with problems, and I don't have enough expertise to fix up the code problems myself.

Last edited:

Dennis Nicholls

Executive Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Dennis
I haven't seen anyone discuss MS Edge Chromium. It's been released to the general public since 15 January 2020. The computer mags put up reviews from that date to about two weeks later but nothing since early February. Have 3 months of early bug fixes produced a decent build?

Dennis Nicholls

Executive Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Dennis
Well this is interesting. Unlike downloading other browsers, downloading the new Edge Chromium deletes your copy of heritage Edge. You can't toggle back and forth to compare performance. :emoji_pouting_cat:

So far so good. It reduces the "hangs" while posting at a couple of online forums. Still has some hangs with my bank's site, perhaps due to enhanced security measures.

theJman

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Real Name
Jim
I haven't seen anyone discuss MS Edge Chromium. It's been released to the general public since 15 January 2020. The computer mags put up reviews from that date to about two weeks later but nothing since early February. Have 3 months of early bug fixes produced a decent build?
It's similar to Chrome in that there is a ton of phone-home stuff attached to it, only in this case it's Microsoft doing the data mining and not Google.

Dennis Nicholls

Executive Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Dennis
In today's world I may trust MS more than G.

So far so good. I wonder when the new Edge will be mandated in the monthly Patch Tuesday update.

Dennis Nicholls

Executive Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Dennis
OK so Edge Chromium will be "pushed" with normal Windows Updates soon.

The article doesn't exactly say "when". I got the Patch Tuesday updates yesterday but had already loaded Edge Chromium, so I don't know if it happened yesterday.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kanchibrneha