1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Internet 2, Where are you?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott L, Mar 6, 2003.

1. Scott L

Scott L Producer

This sounds very promising. Hopefully the next generation interenet backbone will make hefty bandwidth costs a thing of the past.

2. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

Of course, it's not for commercial use until Universities develop Internet 3 or some bribes are paid.

3. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

afraid I have to agree with joe on this one, without a good incentive. IMO most ISPs and backbone operators are just going to tell us to suck it since they don't want to pay the cost of replacing all their hardware, no matter how inexpensive it might be.

4. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

Internet 2 has been around for roughly 10 years now and will probably remain privatized to the US government and Education system. When I worked for Qwest they were one of the companys that help provide some of the equipment and lines for it but the majority of I2 was developed from the ground up by the universities and government agencies that are participating in it. It is quite an incredible and secure network and speeds are absolutely phenomenol. I remember reading at one point that with one backbone line that is used in I2 you could supply a broadband connection to every house in the US its pretty amazing to think of it that way.

5. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

First it is exciting that they are able to transfer that much data in that time but I cant say it will come any time in the next 10 years or more.

6. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor