International Shipping Frustration!!! Help!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stacy Huff, Jun 17, 2002.

1. Stacy Huff

Stacy Huff Second Unit

My girlfriend lives in Argentina. She's a doctor and she's studying to get her license in the United States. One day we hope to be married and living in the U.S. She was staying with me until about a month ago, when she had to return home. If we are lucky she'll be able to return in September.

So here's the problem. She left some books here that I need to get to her, along with some correspondence she received from the Commission that oversees the tests for foreign medical graduates. There is also a videotape with information about a test she has to take, and some of her personal medical records. I packaged everything up and went to UPS to send them, but was told that they are not allowed to send "personal effects." Had I bought the books new, presumably I could send them. I could send her a gift of books, but not books that belong to her. So I got online and visited the USPS website. The USPS evidently is not interested in non-business customers, since everything on the website is in terms of what the USPS can do for your business. But again, under restrictions, I see that "personal effects" are prohibited to Argentina. Which brings me to this question--how the hell do you send something to somebody in another country? Am I to understand that if she left her coat in my house, I couldn't send it to her, but I could buy her a new one just like it and send that? Or I could buy a plane ticket and just take it down myself. But I can't ship it through the mail? Can sombody give me a rational explanation for what is going on

2. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Rational? Are you kidding? [​IMG]
    Some of the shipping laws make no sense at all. It might be easier all the way around if you call her and ask her to contact a customs house broker where she lives and ask them. (I'm assuming she lives Buenos Aires). They will know all of the rules and regulations, along with ways to get it there before September.
    Glenn

3. Stacy Huff

Stacy Huff Second Unit

Nope, she lives in Chivilcoy, about 3 hours by bus to Bs As. I'm figuring that there will be a way to get these 5 books, one video, and correspondence to her, but it will cost 5X the cost of the books new. The bastards! I'm so mad--it's a good thing that I'm not Superman, or omnipotent, because I might go on a spree and lower the world population by about 1 billion, anybody that bothered me would just be gone. Sorry fans of Carrot Top...

4. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Why don't you just tell them that they're a gift and send em that way? It'll still cost a bundle, but you'll get the package sent...

5. Stacy Huff

Stacy Huff Second Unit

That might be an option, but after I talked to UPS they weren't shipping my package. In other words, they wouldn't buy it if I just said, "Oh, then this is a gift." Plus, I imagine that there would be some duties for her to pay on her end if I sent a gift, which really makes me mad, especially since nobody in Argentina has any money. From what I gather, if you have a friend visit from a foreign country and that friend happens to leave something behind, be it a jacket, a book, gloves, whatever, you can't send it back to him or her. You could buy a new version and ship that, but not the one that actually belongs to them. And I don't understand the reasoning. In fact, the more I deal with this whole international relationship thing, the more I realize that I don't understand how any of this works. Of course, the more you read in the papers the more you realize that INS, etc., don't understand either. They'll issue visas to dead terrorists, but I'm sure that my girlfriend will be turned down when she tries to come back. If she was some migrant worker who walked across the border in Mexico things would be much easier, because they'd give her an amnesty then. But try to do it the right way...well, you can't even send a friggin' book.

OK, I'm just ranting, but thanks for listening. It kept me from breaking something expensive. Oh well..

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Is USPS not an option? Or are the items too heavy?

7. Stacy Huff

Stacy Huff Second Unit

The USPS is an option, and that's where I'm going tomorrow morning, but I tried to pull up some info on the USPS website and it looks like they may have the same sort of restriction. Which still just baffles me. The reason that I didn't go to the USPS initially is because the local people told me that they can only guarantee that the package gets to Argentina, not that it gets to my girlfriend. The reality is that the postal system in Argentina maybe isn't that great. I've heard stories of letters mailed in November that arrived the following April. With this material, since she is studying for an exam, time is of the essence. Furthermore, with the ecomony in Argentina tottering on the brink, there is also the problem that any package that looks like it may be valuable(like one from the U.S.)might just disappear. That is also that possibility with UPS or FedEx since they both use local companies to make the final delivery, but at least there is some security with the tracking. Anyway, I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

8. Chris Bardon

Well, the other option is to get a plane ticket and carry the stuff down there (an excuse to visit)? Might be overkill, but solves that time problem.

9. Andrew W

Andrew W Supporting Actor

Don't be mad at UPS or USPS.

This is an Argentine IMPORT restriction, not a US UPS or USPS EXPORT restriction. The shippers in the US are obligated to enforce it so that they can continue to do business in Argentina.

10. Stacy Huff

Stacy Huff Second Unit

Andrew,

Thank you for the information. I guess that explains why she was able to ship 60 pounds of books to me from Argentina last fall. Can you give me any more information? For instance, if this is due to Argentina's policy, can you tell me if there is any way that I can send these things back to her? She really needs these books to continue her studies. Thanks.

11. Stacy Huff

Stacy Huff Second Unit

And no, flying them down to her is really not an option. I wish that it were, because that would mean that I could drop a few thousand dollars basically for mailing things, and that would obviously mean that I had big bucks and didn't have to worry about being at work. But I don't live in that world, and until my numbers come up in the lottery, I won't be living there. I'm going to try to go down before she tries to come back here in September to take her tests, but between terrorists flying planes into buildings and trying to set there shoes on fire, and the economy in Argentina doing a complete Enron, I'm pessimistic that she'll be allowed back into the country. So hell, maybe it will save me money in the long run if I can't send this stuff to her.

12. Chris Bardon

What about if she purchased the items online (in an auction perhaps)-could the merchandise be sent then?

13. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Can anyone explain why Argentina wouldn't allow the shipping of personal items into their territory?

14. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Here's an idea, sell it to her via Ebay... Setup the items on Ebay and set a prearranged time for her to be online. Then have the buyitnow set to some rediculous price like $1 and have her buy it then. Then you can ship it to her like you just sold it on an auction.

My other idea is have one of her friend's buy it and ship it to her rather than your gf. In this way, the stuff is not technically your gf's friend's property and it is truly and honestly. a gift. Then your gf can simply buy it from her for the cost of lunch or something (just to seem official)..

Jay

15. Mark R O

Mark R O Stunt Coordinator

It's Francisco D'Anconia's fault. Ever since that copper mine nationalization farce, he and that Galt guy are on a roll. Don't ship by surface mail, Ragnar will snag it.