What's new

"International Detective" (1959) from Liberation Entertainment (1 Viewer)

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Doc, I can't figure out if Liberation simply has the worldwide DVD rights to "International Detective" or if they are actually releasing this on DVD (I suspect the former). In any event, Liberation Entertainment is the real deal and are the folks behind the "Daniel Boone" series DVD releases.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Yeah, it's the former Bob. When Liberation was replacing one of the faulty discs in the DANIEL BOONE SEASON 3 sets, I had a few email exchanges with a guy that worked at Liberation. He was nice enough to send me a large catalog that detailed all the shows they own the rights to. I wish they would put some of those out on dvd, but they aren't doing so at this time.

That little video on their site is mainly aimed at any stations that would like to pick up the shows and air them. It's not about an impending dvd release - unfortunately.

Gary "the catalog they sent me was really nice" O.

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank
I hate to break it to them but most of their shows, which are basically the majority of the old Official Films catalog, are P.D. That aside, their only market really would be the DVD market. There aren't really any TV stations that exist anymore looking for those kinds of shows, at least not from a legitimate distributor. Any station buying old shows of that ilk would go for cheapy PD copies. DVD is the only place they'll ever make any money off those things.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Oh, no doubt about it Hank. I'd be very surprised if they were able to pick up anything via tv stations. And there's also no doubt (in my mind) that DVD is the only smart thing for them to do with these shows. But as you said, most are PD stuff.

Gary "I wouldn't mind seeing complete sets for many of the shows they own, but I'm sure that's a minority opinion in the world of DVD" O.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

As I was perusing their TV catalog, I noticed that they have the DVD rights to the series "Foreign Intrigue." I "discovered" this series several years ago via Alpha Video's beat-up syndication prints, presumably in the public domain (and released under an alternate title "Dateline Europe"). What a terrific, post World War II, Cold War series this is . . . . one of the better, unsung syndication series of the early 1950s. It was produced by Sheldon Reynolds, who brought us the enjoyable 1954 Sherlock Holmes series with Ronald Howard. I like the fact that the casts were mostly unfamiliar English-speaking European actors in this series lending a bit more authenticity as well as the location filming (Sweden and France, if I recall correctly), and found the half hour episodes on the Alpha releases to be consistently engaging. I hold very little hope that this would ever get a proper release given its age and comparative obscurity, but at least there are a few episodes available.

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank
Well considering this company spent money to clean up and digitize all of these series, I would think at some point they will put them out on DVD. That's the only realistic avenue open to them to actually make back any money on these series. Curious as to why they only list 26 episodes of Yancy Derringer as there are 34 made.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

If so, they better do it soon; the prime market for these types of series isn't getting any younger!

With the release of some of the lesser known TV Westerns by Timeless, maybe that'll provide the spark for Liberation to consider "Yancy Derringer," a series that I actually remember seeing during its original broadcasts. Gotta love that name "X Brands."

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
holidaypotnetial