Internal wiring question

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Cameron_Peck, Aug 11, 2003.

1. Cameron_Peck

Cameron_Peck Stunt Coordinator

I was thinking about using Goertz MI cable as the internal wiring for my next set of speakers. Has anyone done this? If so, did it make a difference and was it worth the money? What wire do you recommend for internal wiring?

2. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

To answer your question: I have not done it myself. It all comes down to the age old wiring debate. If the internal wiring in your speakers is the weakest link in your wiring path (including the quality of the crossover components) then it may be worth spending the money if the cost isnt a concern. If it isnt the weakest link then save your money and use less expensive but still good quality wiring.

The nice thing about internal speaker wires is the fact that the runs are fairly short and it wont break the bank to use some nice wire if the rest of your system can "support" it.

3. Cameron_Peck

So what wiring would you suggest? I have been using North Creek Music’s suggestion of Tef-Flex AG for tweeter and midrange and Lex 10 AWG OFHC for woofers.

4. Brian Knauss

Brian Knauss Stunt Coordinator

Sound King 12 guage or some cheap equivalent. That's my opinion at least.

10 guage for a short run to a woofer? That seems overkill for smaller guages being able to handle the amount of current that would run through it.

5. Cameron_Peck