What's new

internal usb cable? (1 Viewer)

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i have (had) an internal usb cable that i ruined when i tried to splice another cable into it. i have front usb ports and an internal compact flash 6-in-1 reader, and i want to be able to use both of them. basically, i am in need for an internal y-shaped usb cable. does such a product exist? i really only need the front usb ports for a thumb drive, but i need the compact flash reader quickly so i can get a ton of pictures off my camera. i could use the rear usb ports for the thumb drive, but i'd prefer not to. does anyone have any links or good prices (y-cable if they exist, or standard internal usb cable)? thanks.

CJ

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Here's some search results:
Froogle results

There's some normal internal USB cable on the second page.

you might want to consider a seperate PCI USB card...many have internal headers. In addition the card would take the place of the rear USB ports.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
thanks for the reply. but i'm not sure i understand why i would want to consider this. i have usb ports all over the place, why would i want to use up a pci slot to bring more usb ports that will replace my existing ones?

also, in theory, is what i was trying to do correct? should i be able to splice two different internal usb devices onto the same motherboard header and have them both work?

CJ

Cary_H

Second Unit
I have no idea just what an internal USB is, but why wouldn't you just buy a USB hub to pickup whatever devices you want to connect? You could tie it into one of the rear ports and park it anywhere your heart desires.

Cary_H

Second Unit
I have no idea just what an internal USB is, but why wouldn't you just buy a USB hub to pickup whatever devices you want to connect? You could tie it into one of the rear ports and park it anywhere your heart desires.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
internal usb is when you connect a cable directly from your motherboard to an internal device. internal usb plugs look nothing like external usb plugs. you cannot use a usb hub for any internal devices, they just wont work. i got my internal cable working for my flash card reader, but when i plug in my memory stick into the front usb plugs, the flash reader ceases to work. for now, i'll have to use the rear usb ports for my memory stick and try to do a better job in splicing in the cable for the front usb ports.

CJ

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
internal usb is when you connect a cable directly from your motherboard to an internal device. internal usb plugs look nothing like external usb plugs. you cannot use a usb hub for any internal devices, they just wont work. i got my internal cable working for my flash card reader, but when i plug in my memory stick into the front usb plugs, the flash reader ceases to work. for now, i'll have to use the rear usb ports for my memory stick and try to do a better job in splicing in the cable for the front usb ports.

CJ

Cary_H

Second Unit
You say your card reader is an internal device. So I take it then that the card receptacle end is mounted on the face of your PC's case, right?
Now I'll admit I've not paid a hell of a lot of attention to PC development for the last few years, but I can't imagine any reason to run an internal device on USB over using a PCI device. (I'll assume there's such an thing as a PCI card reader) The one exception might be when there are no free PCI slots on your mainboard.

Off the top of my head, I'd think your 2 into 1 cable might be confusing your USB channel. What you're attempting to do is what a hub is for. You have all the ports you'll ever need, they're just inconveniently located. Get a hub, put it into one of your rear ports, and put it the head where it works for you.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i'm not sure that a pci card reader exists. even if it did, i wouldnt want to use up a pci slot. that is the big benefit of usb. i dont have any free pci slots even if such a device existed. you are right about the usb channel getting confused, when i disconnect either device, the other one works. actually, the card reader will work all the time, provided nothing is plugged into the front usb ports. the front usb ports will only work if the card reader is unplugged internally. i already have a usb hub, but it would make no sense to use it here. i only have two usb devices, the card reader and the memory stick. since there is no way to use the card reader with the hub (or any external usb port), i only have one device using external usb, which is the memory stick. i can always use the rear usb ports without the hub. it is the same thing as using one of those electrical plugs that split the socket into 3 sockets. why would i need to 'create' more electrical sockets if i only need to plug in one appliance at that location? even though it may be a little more work for me, if i put a switch on the card reader to switch it on and off, i can use the front usb ports (effecively, that is a hub too) and the card reader, but i just cant use them simultaneously. i cant think of a time where i had to use them at the same time anyway. the inside of my case is getting a little messy, i think a re-wiring project is in order :)

CJ

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
If you changed the connectors, sticking a hub inside the case would work fine (you'd also one to power it off an internal cable.) But just splicing the wires would cause problems.

You'd think there would be card readers and internal hubs that integrated more USB headers into their design, but I can't find any... :frowning:

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
yeah i would think there would be sort of an internal usb hub in development, it would make things so much easier for me...guess nothing can change the fact that my usb headers are in a horrible place to access :angry:

CJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks