Internal Test Tones vs Calibration Disk

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by EricSm, Jul 16, 2003.

1. EricSm

EricSm Stunt Coordinator

Here's an odd one.

I calibrated my home theater to match speaker levels using the S&V disk. I then tested those levels using the THX optimizer on Toy Story II. Everything was spot on.

I ran the internal test tones on my receiver(Denon AVR-1803) and my surround back speakers are about 5 db higher than the other speakers, which are all identical.

It's quite a noticable difference. Everytime I run the internal test tones I feel like ducking because the back speakers sound so much louder than the other ones.

Yet, source material on a dvd sounds like I expect it should. The surrounds never dominate and seem to be properly calibrated as the two calibration disks suggest.

Any ideas on what would cause this? What's going on here?

2. Robert Ma

Robert Ma Second Unit

Internal test tones have been said to be inaccurate. I have the same thing with the rears when I calibrate but find that I like them lower with the internal setting. Doesn't mean thats the right one, exspecially when you consider using the DVD to calibrate is setting from the source you use to play DVDs....

3. Arron H

Arron H Second Unit

The internal tones on my Rotel RSP1066 are very close to the S&V disc. No more than 1 Db difference on any of the channels.

4. Mike_A

Mike_A Stunt Coordinator

are you doing 6.1 by chance?

i feel like if your in matrixed 6.1 and your running test tones from the dvd, when the effectively prologic deocding is applied to the rears (since that's all matrix 6.1 is), i feel like less sound is going to each speaker (like DPL back in the day). but then with the test tones the receiver is sending stuff directly to each channel. I dont think any of the test discs have 6.1 discrete, but i bet if they did, they'd probably be close to the internal tones.

FWIW (not much really), my Denon 2700 is right on with the test discs, but that's only 5.1 DD.

5. Kevinkall

Kevinkall Second Unit

6. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Mike that's funny, a friend of mine has the AVR 95 (the mass market version of yours) and when we compared the internal tones to Video Essentials, it was off from 1-5 db a channel (internal rears ran way too hot).

7. Dennis_Pow

Dennis_Pow Auditioning

8. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

The Denon 2700 was marketed thru the brick and mortar dealers and the AVR95 was marketed thru Sears, online vendors, etc about 3-4 years ago.

9. Mike_A

Mike_A Stunt Coordinator

Robert - hmmm that's odd. maybe in need to check it again...actually i think the sub was off just a tiny bit like 1-2db or so, but not too much of a surprise there considering how much the sub reading jumps around with either set of tones.

10. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit

The internal test tones in my Marantz SR7000 are identical for all speakers, which is good. It's interesting to note, however, that the internal tones are 5db low, compared to the test tones on the VE disk.