Internal test tones or setup disc?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan_McCormick, Nov 10, 2002.

1. Ryan_McCormick

Hello all,

I was curious as to which is more accurate (if either) for calibrating your home theater? I would imagine that a setup disc such as video essentials would be more accurate due to it coming from the disc rather from the hardware, but im just assuming. I use the internal test tones when calibrating. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

2. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

3. Ryan_McCormick

Thanks Justin. While i was researching this topic on the web i found this.

4. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

Ryan,
    Your internal test tones are fine for adjusting volume levels on your surround setup, THX or 5.1 or pro-logic or dolby surround.
    Use test tones on a disc for checking the frequency response of your system, sub in particular.

5. Ryan_McCormick

Thank you guy. Just curious then what is the more popular route for board members internal test tones or setup disc? For calibrating volume levels.

Thanks,

6. Jay Sylvester

Jay Sylvester Supporting Actor

I tend to agree with the Avia FAQ. I originally used the internal tones on my AVM 20 to calibrate individual speaker levels. The surrounds were practically silent, even on DVDs that are typically known for their active surround content. I then used the test tones on the Sound & Vision Home Theater Tune-Up disc, and my surrounds came alive. Sounds I hadn't even heard previously were now present. Not so loud as to be distracting, but at what seemed to be a proper level. More in line with the front channels.

Try both and see what gives the best results for your particular setup.

7. Henry_W

Henry_W Stunt Coordinator

Ditto on Jay's response - I did calibrate on both and found the internal test tone calibration to be 'lifeless'.