Internal Subwoofer problems

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Chad A, Feb 8, 2004.

1. Chad A

Chad A Stunt Coordinator

My Polk PSW450 only outputs about 10% of it's normal volume and that's at 100%.
    The amp works, speaker does thump but, it's a pale shadow of it's former self.
    I took the amp out to inspect it and sure enough the inputs for L, R, and LFE are all oozing some type of epoxy that has spread to the connecting circiut board.
    I've only ever used the LFE input though.

I'm pretty sure this has come from my receiver which has been sending a loud thump to the sub at every input change(there's more on this in the receiver section).
    I'm thinking the epoxy has in some way dulled the input level the amp can receive.
    Is there anyway I can clean this stuff off without totally screwing the boards in the process.
    I bought the sub used so no warranty to speak of.

Any help or suggestions are welcome, Thanks.

2. Mike Sloan

Mike Sloan Second Unit

Sounds like you may have blown some Caps(capacitors) inside the Sub amp.

3. Chad A

Chad A Stunt Coordinator

Mike,
    do you or anyone else think it's possible to salvage the amp by replacing the blown parts or is it a total loss?
    If you think it's possible I'll take to it to a few repair shops for estimates.

The only thing is, if it costs more than $50-60 it wouldn't be worth it with the price of plate amps as low as $85-90, although the Polk amp looks very solid with a very large transformer.

Everyone's suggestions are welcome.