"Internal light reflections": WHAT SHOULD I DO??!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Marx, Aug 11, 2002.

1. Dave Marx

Dave Marx Stunt Coordinator

I have purchased a Toshiba 65" Wide Screen, the 65H82 and it will be delivered later this week. This was to replace my 53" SONY HDTV, because the SONY is giving me some odd light reflections during certain DVD's. The light sometimes goes off the black bars in widescreen format, and produces a faint glow below the bars. I am told these are "internal light reflections" from the TV and can be fixed by opening the TV and putting a cloth in the set. I am REFUSING to do this, as it is a brand-new, expensive tv.

Now, I'm reading about the Toshiba's 540p upconversion from 480p and the artifact problems and I am having second thoughts...and thinking about sticking with my SONY. Anyone have any feedback? Is there another practical solution to fix the SONY? Is the 540 upconversion problematic enough, so that I may decide to trade one problem for another? In other words, if the Toshiba has probs of its own...maybe I should just stick with my SONY???

2. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

All RPTV's have the reflection issues, so unless you do line the inside, you gonna have them.

I hear the Tosh's are terrific tv's so I wouldn't worry about the 540p issue. Going from the 53" to the 65" may not be that big a change for you. Me going from 36" to 65" was and I don't regret it at all. But if I'm not mistaken that 53" is a 4x3 model, I would get the Tosh just for the widescreen aspect alone (not to mention it's bigger!).

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Sometimes (it may affect some DVD's but not others) the picture has a bright line at the top or botom, or bright stray dots at the sides, which you don't see because of overscan, but it causes lots of stray light inside the RPTV cabinet. You may see it on the CRT's (guns) if there is a hatch in back large enough for you to poke your head inside.
    If this is the problem, what needs to be adjusted is electronic matting (changing the vertical and/or horizontal blanking duty cycle). This may or may not be easy or possible using the service menus.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

4. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

5. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

The other thing you could do is install a lens hood. This way if you ever need service you can just remove it with out them knowing you were ever inside the set. I did this to my Tosh 65HX81 and it did reduce the internal reflections quite a bit. The H and HX models are even easier to take apart than the previouse Toshiba models.

6. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Hey Juan, where do you get the lens hood? Is there any pics online of a set with these on the lens'?

7. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

A lens hood is basically a box that goes around the CRTs on the inside of the set. There are instructions to be found soemwhere online, but none I have handy. Every single RPTV has internal reflection issues, even when lined (usually with duvetyne, around here.)

On my set (a Toshiba) I lined the inside. Except for the top bar, where there was a very severe (beyond haloing) reflection, it didn't make a huge difference. It's certainly not a bad thing to do, but you're just not going to eliminate the problem completely.