What's new

Internal Laserdisc Question (1 Viewer)

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Last night I found a Pioneer LD at the local Goodwill for $18, A CLD 406 or 407 I believe. A pretty decent player with AC3 out.
I didn't have much time but I don't think it would turn on...could have been the outlet but they were trying to close so no time to trouble shoot.

Does any one know if Pioneers have a internal fuse before the Power Supply that could of blown?
It still might be worth it for parts since I have a Elite 79 which I believe is fairly similiar internally. I would open that one up and check but it's in my audio rack and a real pain to remove.
Thanks
Grant

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm 99% sure there is a fuse there.

Edit: just checked inside one of my 704 and there is definately a fuse on the power supply board. If memory serves is there was a problem with some of the Pioneer LDP's with a shorted power supply. The fix is pretty simple and I think you had to clip one of the diodes to prevent a recurring short. For $15 I'd get it just for salvage assuming the laser and spindle motor might be useful down the line. I know Kurtis fixed a 99 for me using a laser pickup from a malfunctioning 703 -- $70 repair vs $200 for a new laser since they were the same part.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
David, Thanks You very much!
That's it 704! Got the numbers just the wrong order
It's a nice unit; I had the one without the optical out many moons ago.
As long as they didn't do something dumb like dropping it intoa pool it should be worth the parts...
Thanks again
Grant

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
If it's the 704, then I'd pick it up regardless as long as it's not been sitting in a pool of water. Even the 406 would be a nice unit, but 704 is in the top 3-4 US units ever.

If it's just a 50 cent fuse, it's a diamond. If it is something more, then even for parts you'd get $75-100 on Ebay or have Kurtis or ?Duncan at www.laserdiscservice.com rehab/fix the unit.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I'm going right now.

Got it! it's a 406 with the optical output
It is the same Goodwill I found my McIntosh Amp for $50 which I still can't believe.

99% of the time nothing but junk

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Well the fuse was blown but still no lights. As soon as I have a few minutes I'll look cloaser but at least I have parts for my 79 for $18!
Grant

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks