What's new

internal compact flash drive? (1 Viewer)

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i'm looking for an internal compact flash card reader, its so inconvenient to have an external thing on my desk. plus, mine recently crapped out, so i have toi buy a new one. the problem is, i already have 4 IDE devices in my system, 2 cd based drives, and 2 hd's. anyone know of a drive i could use, or should i try to clear some space from my IDE ports? thanks in advance

CJ

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
While we are at it, does anybody know of similar device that can also read Cardbus cards ? I've probably seen 6-7 different "all in one" media readers, but none has a PC Card slot. The reason for PC Card slot?? 2GB Cardbus drives are now down to about $90 a piece (will not be surprised to see them in the $60 range in the near future), they will be great for makeing backup or just shuffling large amount of data bewteen desktop and laptops (such as photo/video files).

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
nick, you are my hero for the day. question for you, maybe i'm just overtired and i cant think of the answer...how can i use usb if its an internal device? on my mobo there are extra pins to connect front mounted usb slots, but none of them are connected, as i dont use them. would i connect a cable to those? if that works, i'm very excited about it. thanks again for the info.

CJ

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Most Mobos have a USB pin on it used to add a USB port.
Yes you connect the cable provided to the (i think its four pins) pins on your Mobo labled USB.
Your welcome, i rememberd i saw a product like that somehere when you mentioned it. Seems like the perfect one for your needs :D
Hope it works out!

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
ok i ordered it and installed it, and it works great, thanks for the suggestion. i needed to use my brain whilst installing it though, my mobo's usb ports (abit kg7) gave me trouble at first, had to break out the multimeter to make sure i wasnt going mad. sure enough, they were backward from everything else, and the thing works great now. although now, my floppy drive is constantly spinning, not sure why. i just unplugged it, for the frequency of my floppy use, its not a big deal. cheers

CJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks