Internal amp configuration on HK AVR-520?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chriss M, Mar 12, 2002.

1. Chriss M

Chriss M Second Unit

I see that the HK 520 has multiroom capabilily but only includes internal amplifiers for the 5 main channels. However, if i am using an external amplifier for my front 3 channels, 3 of the 520's internal amps are left unused. What i am wondering is if it would be possible to make use of 2 of these unused channels to power the multiroom preouts?

2. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

The AVR520 amps have mains-in/preouts, meaning they can be redirected as monoblocks. Perfect for zone2 usage. Receiver + 3 channel amp = best value IMO!

And the HK Logic7 can only be used for 2.0/DPL sources, and HK owners do prefer it over DPL2 for movie sources. Hey, you'll have both Logic7 and DPL2, so you decide!

3. Chriss M

Chriss M Second Unit

Thanks for answering all my questions at once [​IMG]
    please excuse my ignorance with this stuff, but does this pre-out/main-in feature mean i would simply run an interconnect from the pre-out to the amp input, exactly as if it were a seperate amplifier?

4. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

Yes on the interconnect, and I think onecall is having a special promotion on the AVR520, you'd use an online coupon or something. Do a search in this forum.

5. Chriss M

Chriss M Second Unit

it seems that the promotion for $630 is over, they're selling them for $810 now. But, they had an open box unit for $599, w/ full warranty, so i picked it up. Should be here on friday [​IMG]
    I REALLY like the way they have the amps set up for external inputs. Along with my 3 channel power amp it should make for lots of flexibility. definitley a great value!
    when i first got started in this stuff i think i was turned away from HK because of their seemingly low power ratings, but now i know better [​IMG]