Intermediate HT Questions

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by elijah_true, May 29, 2005.

1. elijah_true

elijah_true Extra

I don't know if this place is the right forum for my question if it is not please point me in the right direction. Ok I know a little about setting up a HT. But I am not sure on a few things, I have a 51H84 toshiba basic HD rear projection and it has 1 HDMI input and I used it for the cable box. Now finally my question I would like to get a upconversion dvd player will component cables make my dvds look better on my tv than my progressive scan dvd player or do I need to use the HDMI cable for that instead? Or will the DVD player not even make a difference? What is a good one for $200 or under? This one might be a stupid question but My TV has 2 settings 540p and 1080i I always thought they were the same thing, I leave it on 540p is there a reason one way or another that I should change it ever?

Thanks

Elijah

2. elijah_true

elijah_true Extra

how come no one answers my questions?

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

OK, most DVD players will not upconvert over component video. You get 480i or p. That's it. But you can get 720p or 1080i over HDMI. What you could do, is to still get a player that upconverts over HDMI, but look for an HDMI switchbox to switch between the two feeds you have.

For DVD player suggestions (under $200), this is the best place to look:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-b...deInt=0&mpeg=0