Intermediate clamping advice needed (Hank, Brian, Kyle?)

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Wes Nance, Apr 1, 2003.

1. Wes Nance

Wes Nance Stunt Coordinator

Hi!

I don't consider myself a beginner anymore, and have upgraded my skills and questions to intermediate level!

Anyway, I have a table saw now, and am building another set of SCH KOb50's for surrounds. My cuts are more accurate (not perfect yet, still getting the hang of dialing in the saw) and worlds better than when I was using a cheap circular saw and straight edge guide.

Here's my question- I still have trouble getting things clamped up straight and true. I have been trying to glue the sides and inset top and bottom onto the back in one step, letting that dry and then gluing the front baffle on. Often I get a top or bottom that slightly insets, or the whole assemble will shift very slightly on the back, so it doesn't line up perfectly.

I have a decent amount of clamps now- 8 12", 6 24" and 4 36", plus 2 Merle band clamps and a couple right angle clamps.

I would *love* some expert advice on how you guys get everything to line up and stay put. I don't really want to use screws, I don't have a brad nailer, and use titebond.

Thanks!

Wes Nance

2. Jeff Rosz

Jeff Rosz Second Unit

you should check that your table saw blade is 90 deg to your table.
    there are a couple of things you can do to solve the problems you have now...
    you can cut the panels oversize and trim to final size with a trim bit on a router.
    you can inset small blocks glued/screwed the thickness of the panels on the inside corners and along the length of panels to hold the panels in place.
    hot glue or brads with a nail gun ($20 at harbor freight tools) will hold everything in place as you line it up.
    a biscuit joiner will do a great job too.
    try using rabbets.

3. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

If you dont have a brad nailer then you run the risk of it moving. I notice that when too much glue is used they tend to move much easier than when less is used so try using a bit less next time to see if that helps you out.

4. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Wes, don't use too much glue - you should have a small amount of squeeze-out along the length of your glue lines.
    If you still have trouble, just glue a couple of joints at a time, then gradually tighten your band clamps while checking for eveness. Glue on a very flat surface, say your table saw. Lay down a sheet of wax paper to keep the glue moisture off the table saw. Lay down a cabinet piece that will be inset (in your case, a top or bottom), with glue applied to two adjacent edges, then apply glue to the two mating edges of the two panels that attach to the inset piece (as well as to their adjacent mating edges). That way you'll only have the three pieces to keep lined up as you tighten your band clamps. I think that with practice you'll be able to glue up all but your final piece. I usually do the baffle or the back last but YMMV.

5. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

using biscuts saved me tons of time and fustration, just drop the sides in and line up the pokets and you are done with a supper flush edge no need to make sure its straight. because it is