What's new

Interlaced looks better than progressive (1 Viewer)

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
on my new Onkyo dv-sp300. The progressive scan image looks less defined and the brightness/contrast and colour are way brighter than interlaced. My set is not calibrated but regardless of setting the colour is a bit pale too. Print(subtitles and menu screens in white) and the players menu has a bad case of the jitters.

The colour and such are not that big of deal and are more dependant on the TV but any ideas as to why the image looks so soft and why the white lettering seems to be unstable? I am at the point of selling it. The audio sounds great and the interlaced image is great also.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member

You might want to take care of that first. Then post again.

Also, you should state the make and model of your monitor. For example, is it one that's capable of progressive scanning?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
To add to Jack's point: On most TVs, the progressive and interlaced display modes need to be separately calibrated. It's not unusual for an uncalibrated set to feature wildly inconsistent images when switching between interlaced and progressive.

M.

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
Oops, I guess I left out that little tidbit. I have a Samsung 55"Tantus and it is 480i,480p and 1080i capabable. I also have acess to the service menu. bright, contrast and saturation/hue affect both inputs. The adjustements for the progressive input that I could adjust that affected only that input Left me scratching my head having no idea what the abreviation meant. Again, I left it alone for that reason. Now geometry settings were independant.

The TV set also only has a global user colour setting used for all inputs.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
The TV set also only has a global user colour setting used for all inputs.
My Toshiba widescreen is the same way, but the user settings produced radically inconsistent results on the progressive and interlaced outputs. It required professional adjustment of service menu settings ("designer mode", as it's called on certain Toshiba models) to get them matched up correctly.

M.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Another thing to check is the convergence of your set with a 480p signal. Many monitors require separate convergence adjustments for different signal types. Poor convergence would result in a softer appearing image.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
All the replies so far are correct, but one thing has been ignored. An interlaced signal is 15.75kHz and a progressive scan signal is 31.5kHz. If the output components are not up to snuff, the progressive image could indeed look less sharp than the interlaced output as there's plenty of bandwidth available to pass a full interlaced signal, but possibly not enough to pass a full progressive signal.

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
Hello John,

Would you suggest a different set of cables? Would that also explain the flickering with lettering and the dvd player's menu? Has anyone seen this problem with onkyo players specifically?

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
While it certainly can't hurt to try a different set of cables, that's probably not going to change anything. I don't have any experience with Onkyo equipment, so I can't comment on that.

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
You will when you calibrate my set:D I think I may try another DVD player if this one doesn't work out. I got a great deal so I guess I can't complain. other than the progressive issue it is a pretty decent player when compared to my slightly older pioneer.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
The only time that i know of that progressive has looked worse is with some new Universal releases. Montey Pythons Meaning of Life, and the new Weird Science, i understand are flagged wrong for progressive players. Every 5th frame i believe is out of phase for a lack of a better way to describe it. Could that be the flickering your talking about?

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
Rick,

I find it on all DVD's. Its more just a flickering that can be seen on white images. And since most lettering in a movie has a black background its really noticable. I thought 2:3 pull down compensated for the different frame rates. would something not flagged right prevent the detection?

And John,

No worries, whenever you get a chance

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I may be grasping at sraws Shawn, but maybe its the macrovision encoding? Do you have your signal passing through a VCR? I hear that some TVs are really sensitive to the Macrovision too.

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
Rick,
The progressive scan is only available through the component cables. I tried both inputs on my TV since they both accept 480p. Its not a bad picture and I may be exaggerating the flicker. Its more a jitter. the progressive image is a overly soft picture with too much contrast and not the colour depth of the interlaced image. A lot of that can be cleaned up in the service menu and isf calibration. But the jitter is what worries me the most.

I had a chance to try the same DVD player on a different widescreen at the dealer. But it was too hard to make a comparison on a different TV and lighting conditions and such. Could only see slight jitter in the menu screen of the dvd player itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks