Interlaced Component Cable box?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by ShaunLB, Aug 2, 2004.

1. ShaunLB

ShaunLB Stunt Coordinator

Hey gang, just got hooked up with Cox Cable here in Macon, GA and was wondering if anyone knows if Cox offers a Digital Cable box that can output interlaced component video (I have a non-HD TV). My S-Video isn't too bad...for cable, but I'd rather use component if possible.

2. SimiA

SimiA Second Unit

Component is used for HD & DVD only.
    Vb

3. ShaunLB

Not exactly... Component can be used for many different formats and players. I use component on my PS2 and can use it for my PC output also, but only in interlaced component mode. Granted, I am out of luck if cable boxes only put out a progressive scan component signal. I'm just wondering if anyone knows if there is a box that has the option of using a component interlaced output.

4. SimiA

SimiA Second Unit

I'm sorry, I was speaking of a Cable/Sat & DVD signal, and as far as I know, cable and sat companies only put component on their HD STB's.
    I could be mistaken.
    Vb

5. ShaunLB

Ah, I see what you were saying now. I'm still in hopes that someone has made one that is interlaced capable...

Thanks for the input thus far [​IMG]

6. David Strand

David Strand Agent

I had a motorola HD box with my old cable company and you could set it to output any of the following: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i. I would guess that most allow outputting a 480i signal on the component outputs, since the majority of channels are non HD. You should be able to call your cable company and confirm.

7. SimiA

SimiA Second Unit

David & Shaun, my Dish 6000 HD box will output an interlaced signal over the component cable, if the signal of the station I'm watching is not HD, but the PQ is really not that good if you want to fill a widescreen. I can change the aspect ratio, but now I have black bars on the sides, and the PQ is still not as good as my SD box.
    Maybe there are HD boxes that give better results, but I haven't seen them. It seems that the SD signals thru an HD box never look quite right.
    Vb

8. SimiA

SimiA Second Unit

ShaunLB, just came across this.
    Thought it might help.

The Yamaha HT-R5790, RX-V1400 or RXV2400 has a nifty video upconversion feature which converts all video upwards all the way to component video.
    He explains:
    Connect all your devices to the receiver using their highest quality output type (e.g. VCR - composite, SVHS - s-video, HDTV cable box - component, DVD - component)

The receiver will convert all the signals up to component video and you can use the receiver to switch all of them. It has the bandwidth to handle HDTV.

Hey, after all, he did say it was nifty!
    Cheers, Vb