What's new

Interference (1 Viewer)

Biba

Grip
Real Name
Biba
This one is so inappropriate to this forum I'm almost too embarrassed to ask, but...

With an attic TV antenna for my Sony FD Trinitron Wega and the strange white FM antenna which came with my Onkyo TX-SR603X receiver, most of the time I get 'pretty good' reception on both. Lately the receiver has exhibited major static on FM and the Sony very unacceptable images on some TV stations.

Cable is unavailable here. This leaves a dish for the TV. However, pretty much all I want to get beyond the major TV stations + PBS is Speed and Discovery. The basic package for a dish is the family package which, except for the major stations, sucks - at least for me.

Is there such a thing as a "Bad Reception Buster" who could come here and solve the problem?

I'm within 10 miles of all antennas (Mt. Wilson) I care about. They're to the north and slightly west of me. A fellow was working on the unit just next door (south) of me (I work/live in an industrial place) and had major static on the FM all day. Static has happened every time he has been there and almost every time a truck drives by.

Biba

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I’d try three things:

First check the coax connections at the antenna, your display, your FM receiver and the splitter. Also check the RG6 to make sure of its integrity. Perhaps there is a break in the coax somewhere. You might also try changing the attic antenna orientation at the same time, but since you are getting static on FM, it is not likely that this will make much of a difference. Since you have had decent reception in the past, this has a pretty good chance of resolving the problem.

You did not mention what kind of attic antenna you have, but if it is a small one, installing the biggest and best you can find and afford may also solve the problem. This has a chance, as it is possible that a new building, construction or some other change in the external environment may be causing the reception problem.

If this does not help, mount the attic antenna on your roof.

If this does not work you might have to go the satellite route. At least then you can gett Discovery.

Biba

Grip
Real Name
Biba
Lew, this is a very late reply to your comments. What is RG6? I'm somewhat convinced that atmospheric conditions have a major effect on my TV and FM reception. Though the weather here has varied a lot lately, the reception for both has been great. And since I've not switched the FM to the TV antenna, whatever is affecting the quality of each unit's reception, is doing it equally. This is an industrial unit so have a 15 foot high ceiling with a typical ceiling in the office/living room which is literally held up by wires. So I managed to get an 80" Radio Shack TV antenna in the space above. True, this place has concrete tilt-up construction which means lots of rebar inside.

The reason I lean towards atmospheric conditions is that everyone (except me) goes home at 5:00. So there should be no machines, etc. causing the interference. Yet TV in the evening can sometimes (as mentioned) have horrible reception.

Since there is no cable available here, it would mean a satellite dish, and wonder it it too might be affected by the same interference. Not to mention I'm told one spends days on the phone trying to get through to Direct TV when there is a problem - which I refuse to do.

Biba

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
How is the TV antenna Mounted? is it touching anything metal or held up by metal wires?

The RG6 mentioned is Coax Cable it's just the Rating on the Cable.

Your antenna should be connected from the antenna via a 300-75ohm matching transformer at the antenna where the RG6 (coax) is connected going down to your tv.

Biba

Grip
Real Name
Biba
The antenna is mounted very strangely. It is on a 10' mast which about half of it comes into the office and is attached by plastic ties to the aluminum framing of the windows. So, yes, it touches metal. Not sure about the antenna itself touching metal since I removed several of the wires holding up the fake ceiling. I have no argument in installing a transformer, except the farthest TV tower is ten miles away and on top of Mt. Wilson (LA, CA - and I'm down low and maybe one tree is partially in the line of sight). I do have a string of electrical/power towers between self and Mt. Wilson but they're also down low.

Biba

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
what wire is coming down from the antenna to the TV right now? Flat wire?

and yes if the antenna is coming in contact with the drop ceiling that will cause interferance. the Zip ties are fine they act as an insulator. ( I've had to do the same type of install once and know exactly what you are dealing with) make sure it's not touching anything that is part of that drop ceiling framing or the support wires.

Still wondering what wire is currently coming off the antenna down to the tv. What does it look like? Is it the older type "Flat wire"? if it is I'm assuming that you have a 75-300 ohm transformer at the back of the tv?

Clarify that part.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks