Interference Problems with TV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike OConnell, Jul 12, 2001.

1. Mike OConnell

Mike OConnell Second Unit

Mike
    I have a 35" Mitsubishi Direct-View TV and Time-Warner Cable. The interference would be best described as wavy lines that are not quite vertical.
    I have interference problems on the lower numbered stations, primarily channel "3" and somewhat on channel "6", local CBS and Fox affiliates caried by the local time-warner. (I don't watch channels 2,4,5,7). I do not have interference on higher numbered channels (up to channel 77 on my standard tier subscription).
    My input cable line is split to three different TV's and this TV is the only one that shows the interference (I have a 13" and 19" upstairs). The TV in question is located in the basement and is only about three feet from where the cable comes in the house, so I hooked up the feed directly and still had the interference (eliminated wiring as the problem). I get the interference whether I am using the TV tuner or the VCR tuner via external TV input. I do not get the interference when I am watching DVD's via the s-video input on the TV, or VCR's though the player.
    About 7 feet away on the other side of the wall is the furnace/AC unit for the house, and a dehumidifier. Also in the vicinity - about 4 feet away is the incoming electrical box, but all the RG-6 cables for the house run next to this box.
    I am using Canare shielded RG-6 cable, but really think the interference is not being picked up through the cable itself, but rather by the TV and/or VCR tuner. The TV sets within a wooden entertainment center.
    Any suggestions from members who understand ALOT more about TV's than I do?
    Thanks,
    Mike

2. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Mike, have you disconnected everything else from the tv (vcr, dvd, receiver, etc.) and run the cable directly into the tv (bypassing the splitter) and still seen the problem? This would eliminate the possibility that another wire/equipment is interfering with things. This has happened to me. It turned out to be because the coax audio cable running from the dvd player to the receiver was touching in one spot, the cable coax wire running from the vcr to the tv. I swapped in a Radio Shack generic cable wire (which cost less than the one I was using!) and the interference disappeared. Of course, I also did my best to try and isolate all cables from each other but that is an impossible task I think [​IMG]
    If you still get the interference even when it is just the tv with a single cable wire running into its RF input, then there are two possibilities. SOmething close to where the tv is located is causing problems or the tv itself is the problem. I think the next test after this, if feasible, would be to move to the tv to another location and try it. It may be a pain to lug it somewhere else but it should tell you definitively if it's location is the cause of the problem.
    good luck,
    --tom

3. Mike OConnell

Mike
    I have run the coax directly from the connection to the TV, but have not tried to disconnect other lines from the TV. Maybe I am getting some type of weird looping action.
    I'll give your suggestions a try.
    I do have a rat's nest of wires behind the entertainment section and really do need to organize my connections.
    This could also be part of the problem...
    Thanks,
    Mike
    After trying several different things, I discovered the following:
    1. The interference only appears when the receiver is powered up and primarily only on channel 3, but also some on lower numbered channels.
    2. The main culprit seems to be my RECEIVER! I disconnected everything else from the receiver, including speakers and ran the cable line direct from the incoming line to the house to the TV.
    Receiver power "on" - not standby, interference shown. Receiver power "off" - on standby, interference gone!
    The only thing I did not do was to try and plug the receiver into a different power source from the TV.
    Help! - Why would a receiver do this?
    Thanks,
    Mike
    [Edited last by Mike O'Connell on July 13, 2001 at 08:47 AM]
    [Edited last by Mike O'Connell on July 16, 2001 at 12:49 PM]

4. Mike OConnell

Mike
    Anybody?

5. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Mike, if you have everything else disconnected from the receiver except for its power plug, then definitely try either a power conditioner (some kind of power strip) or a UPS or try plugging the receiver into a different circuit than the one the tv is plugged into. This sounds like a condition I've heard described as "dirty power". It has also happened to me (interference on some channels) when my wife runs just the right combination of things in the kitchen...strange, and very rarely happens (once a year or two) to me.
    good luck,
    --tom