What's new

Interference and noise on my ONKYO speakers (1 Viewer)

costafinkel

Agent
Real Name
Gabriel
Hi. I have an onkyo 5.1 home theater that I bought a little more than 1 year ago and has always worked perfectly.

I have it hooked on my PC thru a P2 auxiliar cable (yes, I know its ridiculous).

Last week, though, I was watching a movie and the surround right speaker went out and came back again. Then, 3 days ago, the same happened to the front right.

I unhooked and hooked all cables again and made sure everything was okay. Then, again, perfect sound, and when I thought everything was perfect, the center and front left speakers went out and back again, and gave some crackling noise. Then, they came back to normal as they are now.

I dont think the problem is with the auxiliar cable as I tested it on the TV. Or could it be? Or would the problem be on the speaker cables? (the blue,white,red,etc that came with the HT)

Thanx for the help, Gabriel.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
These types of problems are almost impossible to diagnose over the internet. We're pretty much just guessing.

Wires and cables generally don't cause many problems. The most common issues are loose connections, frayed speaker wires touching the receivers cabinet and in-correct hook-ups. Optical cables are delicate and can easily be broken as are hdmi cables.

Also, the wires and cables that come with most htib's are very cheap and shouldn't be used anyway. Either go to monoprice.com Home Depot/Loews or the automotive section at Wamart and get some 16 gauge speaker wire.

Your problem sounds more like a hardware issue. Either there's a problem with the receiver or there's a loose wire inside a speaker. Too much deep bass, or distortion could have damaged one of the drivers. If the problem was with just one speaker then that's where I would guess the problem would be. But since it's happenning with more than one speaker then maybe it's the receiver/pc.

If there's a procedure to do a factory re-set on the receiver (see the manual) then you could try that. You could also double-check the cross-over setting. If it's too low it might be sending bass tones the speakers can't handle.

costafinkel

Agent
Real Name
Gabriel
watchig a movie today I realized that whenever there was a high-sounding blow, or the volume raised, the speakers would give me noise.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
As Gene said, there are so many possibilities, we can't really offer much meaningful help without some better troubleshooting at your end.

You haven't provided any specific model numbers of the hardware you're using.

What is a "P2 auxiliar" cable? Is the PC the source?

My first thought is that the PC may be the problem. Are you playing DVDs, Blu-Rays, or other digital media? How are they encoded? Can you vouch for the quality of the source?

So many factors come into play even before the signal reaches the receiver...

I would suggest taking the PC out of the equation and connecting a standalone DVD or Blu-Ray player to your system and play the same media that way. Do the problems still occur?

This is basic troubleshooting 101 - you need to eliminate components to isolate the problem.

costafinkel

Agent
Real Name
Gabriel
Auxiliar cable with a 3.5mm connector at each extremity.

You know, the problem might be it. Its no the computer. I'm good buy a quality one and see if it works.. Do you guys recomend any brand? I'm thinking of going with KnuKonceptz.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks