Interface of Progressive Scan DVD to HDTV Ready Monitor

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard O, Jan 19, 2002.

1. Richard O

Richard O Auditioning

As background, I live in Tucson where to my knowledge there are no HDTV signals being broadcast. To make matters worse (for receiving HDTV signals), I'm planning a move to just a little North of the Mexican border. My question is: If you own a HDTV "ready" monitor, will the signal coming from a Progressive Scan DVD go directly to the monitor, or must it go through a HD receiver to receive a HD-like signal? Maybe an additional question should be: Will there be any difference in picture quality between a broadcast HDTV signal (assuming good reception) and a signal coming from a progressive scan DVD?

As a further evidence of my ignorance, what kind of a signal feeds the HDTV ready monitors when you are watching "HDTV" demo's at places like Best Buy and Circuit City?

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Just to add to Vince's answer:
    Most HDTV-ready units have separate inputs for HDTV and 480 component. On some sets you can also use the HDTV inputs to connect an additional 480 progressive source, but that can get tricky.
    If you have a specific model in mind, there's probably someone here who already has it and could provide more detail.
    Most of the HDTV demos I've seen in stores are from prerecorded sources.
    M.

4. Richard O

Richard O Auditioning

Vince, Michael,

Thank you for your prompt replies. As I understand it, a progressive scan DVD is of no help with a conventional TV, and based on your responses, progressive scan DVD with a HDTV monitor still doesn't get you up to full blown HDTV picture quality.

A lot what I see demo'd in stores is only marginally better than conventional TV (certainly nowhere close to 35mm resolution). I think this may be happening because there are so many places, like Tucson where it is taking awhile for HDTV broadcast signals to become available, and in the meantime they don't want people to not buy conventional TV while they are waiting for HDTV.

5. Michael Reuben

6. Richard O

Richard O Auditioning

Michael,

Just for further clarification, do you have an HDTV Receiver "between" your Progressive Scan DVD and your HDTV Monitor?

7. Michael Reuben

By "HDTV Receiver", I'm not sure whether you mean an HD set-top box ("STB") for receiving and decoding HD signals, or a receiver that has component switching. As it happens, I don't have either. I run component cables directly from the p/s DVD player to the monitor. It's a Toshiba TW65H80, which has separate HDTV inputs. So if/when I add an HD source, I won't need any additional switching.

I use separates, not a receiver. My Lexicon MC-1 switches both S-video and composite, and I have connections for both running from the MC-1 to the monitor. So, currently, I'm using three sets of inputs on the monitor, and may someday use a fourth.

M.

8. Richard O

Richard O Auditioning

Michael,
    I was referring to a STB when I used the term "HDTV Receiver". I'll get these terms down, yet. [​IMG]