Interesting Yamaha's YPAO fact

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Kelly Grannell, May 30, 2004.

1. Kelly Grannell

Kelly Grannell Second Unit

Just to let you guys know that for RXV-650 and RXV-750, the YPAO (Yamaha Parametric room Acoustic Optimizer) doesn't have the parametric equalizer at all.

In fact, there is no equalizer function at all. [​IMG] If we had known that the YPAO doesn't have EQ function, we would've picked up the Pioneer equivalent at 30% less. After all, we don't use the DSP function anyway.

My husband just bought the RXV-750 on Friday and we're returning it to the store on the grounds of false advertising.

It seems like only the RXV-1400, RXV-2400 and the RX-Z9 [​IMG] comes with the full-fledged YPAO.

2. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

The HTS-5790 also has full YPAO including the automatic parametric eq. The 5760 and below do not have this feature. The 5790 is a RXV-1400 with different cosmetics and carried by "big box" retailers like Best Buy.

Hope this helps [​IMG]

3. Phil Volk

Phil Volk Extra

GOOD REASON TO GET THE 1400

4. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Kelly,

The fact that only the HTR-5790, RX-V1400/2400 & Z9s only have the "Parametric" EQ included under YPAO, was discussed in my Yamaha thread here:

Yamaha Thread

I've been through a few "rounds" with Yamaha tech support in an attempt to get them to assist me with achieving what I was looking for - a receiver that would provide me with the Parametric EQ. However, they have not responded to my last request as of a few weeks back.

But, do keep in mind, the parametric EQ is not always the greatest thing in the world. Sure, if you have bad or mis-matched speakers, it might make a bit of difference in your sound. However, if one has good to great speakers already, I couldn't imagine wanting to color the sound by changing the response at certain frequencies. I've found that by keeping my 5760 "flat" when it comes to sound, that is where it sounds its best.

Finally, The RX-V750 is quite nicely constructed. When I visually compared it to other models, it had a true aluminum volume knob on it which had a very solid feel.

5. Ben Stern

Ben Stern Stunt Coordinator

My husband just bought the RXV-750 on Friday and we're returning it to the store on the grounds of false advertising.

Kelly: Which receiver are you going to get now?

6. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

If the EQ was making a change based on a room mode, it would actually be uncoloring the already colored sound. As for a preference with EQ on and off, that will depend on the subjective preferences of the listener. Sometimes a modal peak can sound more punchy, especially at lower frequencies, if it's not too egregious.

DJ

7. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

My basic problem with Yamaha's YPAO is that it provides little help with bass modal peaks in the under 100Hz range (only 80Hz and 63Hz parametric EQ center frequencies) hardly adequate - I'd say virtually useless - for most HT rooms.

Plus, they offer absolutely no manual control for the parametric EQ functionality. A start , but I'd say a rather lame start.

A better idea, would have been to offer 10-12 bands (center frequencies) of automatic parametric EQ below 150Hz to help with the bass modal peaks found in every HT room.

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i have the 5790. while i found the ypao feature interesting, i think you're better off doing it manually.

it did some things very well (like speaker distance), but it was way off in some other things. it did this weird thing in setting some of my speakers to large, others to small and some other weird stuff as well.

neat feature, but not sure how useful it really is.

9. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

Sure, that would be great for experienced home theater people who understand about the risks of boosting. Now imagine the average user who is running their mains large with no sub. The auto-eq would add say 6db at a few low frequencies and those wimpy Yamaha amps would be melting. Yamaha would have to design it so the eq's could only apply cut (+0db/-10db range) and perhaps an Expert mode that allowed for +6/-12db range.

I really don't see the big deal about having builtin sub eq's. Buy a BFD or an ART and do it yourself properly.

10. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

I really liked the EQ when I had a Pioneer 45TX, and it was even more limited than the YPAO. Of course, a sub EQ is needed anyways because it's outside the range of the ones built-in the receivers(I use a BFD).

I saw one of the new Sunfires, and while I'm not a big fan of their subs, I liked the idea of having the EQ built-in and automatic. I don't know the particulars of how they're implementing it, but it has the potential to be very useful if done correctly and with the cost of DSP going down it shouldn't be that expensive.

DJ

11. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

Yes, I know all about BFDs (I use one) but in case you didn't know the signal goes through an additional analog-to-digital-to-analog process that is also quite sensitive to signal intensity (digital saturation) on the ADC input level.

Doing the EQ on the original signal while it's still in the orignal digital domain is the best way to do this.

12. Kelly Grannell

Kelly Grannell Second Unit

We ended up buying Pioneer VSX-D712K, it's a lot cheaper($200)and better looking (less cluttered facia).

It's for the tertiary system in a small room anyway, we don't need 6.1 there.