What's new
  • Announcing New Ownership at Home Theater Forum. Learn More

Interesting XBox survey carried out in Japan (1 Viewer)

paul h

Supporting Actor
A Japanese survey conducted by Nikkei IT regarding Microsoft's Xbox has yielded some surprising results. Over a month-long period the study surveyed 1378 people, 95 percent of which were male. Of those surveyed, 76 percent described themselves as avid game players who have purchased two or more game consoles already. Below is a specific breakdown by question and results from the survey.

Question: Xbox costs 34800 yen, is that too high?

Yes – 68%

No – 21%

Unsure - 11%

Question: Do you plan to purchase Xbox?

Yes - 21%

No - 57%

Unsure - 22%

Question: If you want to purchase an Xbox, which of the following have influenced your decision (multiple responses allowed)?

Most Efficient - 75%

Broadband - 59%

Software - 54%

DVD Playback - 24%

Microsoft Brand - 23%

Other Reasons - 14%

Design - 13%

Question: If you don't want to purchase an Xbox, which of the following have influenced your decision (multiple responses allowed)?

Poor Software - 56%

Prefer Other Consoles - 55%

Poor Design - 47%

Microsoft Brand - 37%

Other Reasons - 19%

Poor Performance - 9%

Question: What other capabilities would you like to see on Xbox?

Nothing - 46%

Windows PC Compatibility - 29%

Other Console Compatibility - 24%

Keyboard/Mouse - 15%

Others - 10%

Question: What Xbox capabilities do you think are unnecessary?

Nothing - 68%

Hard disk - 15%

Broadband - 14%

DVD - 13%

Others - 7%

Question: What other game consoles do you own?

PlayStation 2 - 68%

PSone - 66%

Dreamcast - 39%

Others - 39%

GameBoy Advance - 31%

Nintendo 64 - 26%

Gamecube - 17%

None - 5%

Question: On an average day, how long do you play games?

Less than 1 hour - 57%

1-2 Hours - 28%

2-3 Hours - 8%

3-4 Hours - 3%

4+ Hours - 3%

Question: Gender?

Male - 95%

Female - 5%

Question: Age?

Less than 19 - 9%

20-29 - 49%

30-39 - 33%

40-49 - 7%

50-59 - 1%

60-69 - 1%

Question: Occupation?

Office Worker - 58%

Student - 21%

Self-employed - 6%

Part-time Worker - 5%

Others - 5%

Unemployed - 3%

Manager - 1%

Housewife - 1%

Jason Handy

Second Unit
avid game players who have purchased two or more game consoles already
Maybe they are all broke from buying a Gamecube and PS2! I hear the economic situation is rather dire over in Japan. Hostile waters for Microsoft's first foray into the asian console market. But I guess we shall see. I personally do not think that the Xbox success (or failure) in Japan should be a measure of its longevity in this country.

Jason

Wolf Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe they are all broke from buying a Gamecube and PS2!
well, according to the numbers, only 17% have the cube. Looks like a lot of them have a PS2 and an early gen console or portable (GBA and I assume some of the other is either GBC or wonderswan.)

the economic situation is definitely a factor. Bargain hunting is starting to be a sport over there and right now, the Xbox is at the top of the price heat. The online stuff will be interesting - DSL is pretty cheap over there (relative to what I pay and assuming you already have paid the 400+ bucks for the phone line) and it will be interesting to compare the online costs of the PS2 vs. the Xbox.

too early for any clear victor, though PS2 is leading...

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
too early for any clear victor, though PS2 is leading...
:confused:
I don't know. Looks to me like the PS2 is WAY out in front, especially if you look at the numbers sold.
Personally, I have both the Xbox and the PS2. The Xbox is clearly superior to the PS2. It's just gettin' hard waiting for all the great games although, this was the same story a year ago with the PS2.
If you ask me, the Xbox will NEVER be number 1 in Japan. Here in the states...perhaps. Not sure about Europe.
But, given the mega-$$$$ that Microsoft has, the 'Box will be here for the entire war.
I had no idea that Nintendo had such dismal sales in their home turf! Yikes!!!! :eek:

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
Xbox will be number 3 in Europe too, for one reason:

Question: Xbox costs 34800 yen, is that too high?

Yes – 68%

No – 21%

Unsure - 11%

I will cost almost $200 USD more than in Japan. If you think the Japanese have a problem with the price, wait till the Europeans take a survey.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Nintendo never aimed for a big launch with the GameCube. Just like the N64, people will buy it for Mario and Zelda, so once those games come out, sales will get higher.

But, just like the N64, people will buy GameCubes, play the games, then sell them.

paul h

Supporting Actor
I think the answers to the question as to why they wont buy an XBox says a lot...

Poor Software - 56%

Prefer Other Consoles - 55%

Poor Design - 47%

Microsoft Brand - 37%

When you add those factors to the price it's easy to see why MS have a real struggle in Japan.

Charles_O

Auditioning
My thoughts on this survey revolve around the following questions that were asked:
** Question: On an average day, how long do you play games?
** Less than 1 hour - 57%
** 1-2 Hours - 28%
** 2-3 Hours - 8%
** 3-4 Hours - 3%
** 4+ Hours - 3%
I work 50+ hrs a week and I think I average more than 2 hrs a day. Most of those in this survey don't even play the systems they have 1 hr a day (remember 68% said they had a PS2 and 17% a Gamecube). This play time seems very low to me with a majority of them having a new/current system at home. Did they buy games for that PS2 or is it for playing DVD's? I don't play every day but even I can easly average more than 1 hr a day. When I do play I can hit 5 hours in one sitting (easy on the weekends).
** Question: Age?
** Less than 19 - 9%
** 20-29 - 49%
** 30-39 - 33%
** 40-49 - 7%
** 50-59 - 1%
** 60-69 - 1%
I am not sure I buy that for the overall age category shown here they hardly play their consoles. With 58% under 30 and most of those surveyed owning a console of some type I start to wonder about the survey.... Who were they surveying? Plus where are all of the kids? They need to do the survey some where besides in the business district ;) .
I don't see these people buying a PS2 or Gamecube and then not playing them more than 1 or 2 hrs a day on average. If this is really what they are doing, then yes I have no doubt they will not be buying an Xbox, why would they if they aren't using the machines they have now. At least one would hope they learned that when they shelled out the $200-$300 for the last one they bought and don't use.
What I would find interesting to know about this survey is who conducted it and how did they set it up? Maybe its just a hold over from doing a lot of Designed Experiments but the data looks a little skewed to me.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Right now, the PS2 and GameCube are not doing much, so less than an hour a day seems plausible. You have to remember that if they buy a game and beat it in two days by playing for several hours a day, when they return to their daily routine, the amount that they play will be significantly reduced, and the "normal" play time is the one they were surveyed on.

When you get a new game, you play it a lot. But after you've beaten all your games and are bored with them, you don't play as often. Thats probably the reason behind the results.

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Maybe they all were lying about how long they play. It would make them sound kinda "geek-ish" if they said they really played 5+ hours per day :D

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
Xbox baaaaaaaaad. PS2 goooooooooood. (Phil Hartmans Frankenstein)

I couldn't be MORE sick of the posts related to the Xboxes imminant demise in Japan. Japan isn't going to Make or Break the X-Box. America has by FAR more expendable income, and is the target market for the X-Box. Microsofts goal is to put an X-Box is every American home. Just like VCRs, Televisions, and Toasters. It will take awhile, but the price will be down around $100 dollars, and it will integrate into the home. (Or so they plan)

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
How can they get an Xbox into every home when the market has a 5 year lifespan for each console? The only way any console maker could do that is by making their console fully upgradable to next generation specs, which the Xbox, PS2, and Gamecube, are not.

Actually, Microsoft would have to cut the Xbox lifespan a year short and release the Xbox 2 right when Sony releases the PS3 if they want to have any chance at holding the #1 spot for the next round. A year at the top with no competition did wonders for the PS2.

Microsoft won't drop the price to $250 until late into this year. $200 won't come until 2003. $150 will be the price point in late 2003, and $100 in 2004. 2004, a year that will have Geforce 6/7 graphics cards, and a PS3 release on the horizon. My theories on the pricing and the dates simply follow what the market has normally dictated; the Xbox is however, a very expensive console to produce, so it may or may not follow this schedule.

I'm not bashing; just making sense of these "happily ever after" Xbox fairy tales.

The real strategy behind the Xbox is that Microsoft is using it as an attempt to establish itself in the console market. They know the Xbox will be 2nd or 3rd overall in the world market, but they are looking at the extremely big picture (Xbox 2 or 3) for their real success.

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
Actually, Microsoft would have to cut the Xbox lifespan a year short and release the Xbox 2 right when Sony releases the PS3 if they want to have any chance at holding the #1 spot for the next round. A year at the top with no competition did wonders for the PS2.
It didn't do a lot for the Dreamcast. Everyone held onto their nickels and dimes to buy a glorified $300 3rd-rate DVD player since it launched with hardly any software.

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
It didn't do a lot for the Dreamcast. Everyone held onto their nickels and dimes to buy a glorified $300 3rd-rate DVD player since it launched with hardly any software.
That's called brand recognition, marketing, planned shortages, media coverage due to shortages, and more brand recognition.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The DC is now less than $100, but the PlayStation is still in more homes.

DVD players and videogame consoles are VERY different. DVD players are pretty much equal, and any added features will jack the price up. Consoles don't get that freedom, so they have to offer more than the competition for the same price.

So the deciding factor with consoles is brand loyalty and games, but since MS hasn't made a name for itself in the game world yet, its running off of the games (which aren't helping it as much as they would like in Japan).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cut_the_cord
Recent bookmarks