Interesting...THE ELEPHANT MAN...No chapters

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keith Paynter, Dec 13, 2001.

1. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

This is a first, I think, for a major studio release. At first, I noticed the inner sheet had no chapter listing. Now upon playing it, there is only one chapter (the skip function does not work).

This is a bold move on Paramount's part. This is a very unique film, and to glance over it would be a shame. The only question is, who requested it ? Lynch, Brooks, or Paramount?

2. RayG

RayG Stunt Coordinator

David Lynch most likely requested it. He did the same thing with The Straight Story DVD from Disney.

3. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

There's already a couple of threads about this; use the Search function. BTW, Lynch wanted it that way.

4. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    The Forrest Gump LD has the same set-up with regard to chapters. I think the intent is that the movie is meant to be seen in one viewing (except for side and disc changes[​IMG] ). I respect the choice if it's the filmmakers.
    Take Care,
    Chuck

5. Craig S

Craig S Producer

Craig Seanor

6. Dave H

Dave H Producer

It is interesting that stops aren't included, but, on the other hand, this isn't the kind of movie where one is more likely to skip to scenes such as a sci-fi movie (Episode I), for example.

7. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

Quote:

After all, this is a "feature" that's on every videocassette ever sold!!

--------

aha! I knew that VHS had some good points!

8. Jay Blair

Jay Blair Second Unit

Come on now, Mr. Lynch, who are you trying to fool? My DVD player scans at 20x speed. I love your movies, especially The Elephant Man, but if I or anyone else really wants to speed through one of your films, it's not all that hard. And please, Mr. Lynch, don't forget about that program button. Click, click, click, zap...