Interesting story on upcoming Diary Of Anne Frank DVD

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Thomas T, Aug 1, 2003.

1. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

Per an industry friend in the "know", apparently George Stevens Jr. and Millie Perkins were in town this week to record an audio commentary on the upcoming DVD release of Diary Of Anne Frank.

Apparently, however, they were given a pan and scan print to record their commentary to and after about a half an hour or so of attempting to discuss shots and framing that were no longer there, a frustrated Stevens had had enough and terminated the commentary insisting they provide a wide screen copy for the commentary before he proceeded any further.

My friend also said Ms. Perkins is an absolute doll!

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I don't know how you could possibly do a commentary while watching a P&S print.

Makes you wonder what the commentary people are watching while they speak.

3. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

Good for them to stop the commentary!

Now this makes me wonder how the DVD will be presented...

4. SteveP

SteveP Second Unit

ANNE FRANK was one of the most high-profile Fox productions shot in black-and-white CinemaScope in the 1950's.

Hurrah for Mr. Stevens and Ms. Perkins' insistance for seeing the film in its original form while doing their commentary!

5. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

The new anamorphic transfer had probably not been created/finished at the time and although the film was presented at 2.35:1 on Laserdisc, I don't believe there was ever a letterboxed VHS version, and finding a Laser copy and/or Laser player was perhaps difficult and they just had to go with the p+s VHS.

I've never understood why this film was shot in CinemaScope anyway - it's such an intimate and claustraphobic story. But it should be presented at 2.35:1 for the commentary session and the DVD.

Gordy

6. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

From the immediate success of The Robe on, Fox presented all their major and especially its prestigious releases in the CinemaScope format. Intimate character driven Fox films like Three Faces Of Eve, Compulsion, No Down Payment, The Deep Blue Sea, Seven Year Itch, Anastasia among many others seemed ill suited to the CinemaScope format but it was the Fox mandate.

Stevens was told to use the CinemaScope format, he had no choice in the matter. Stevens apparently was not a fan of the wide screen format (Giant certainly seemed to cry out for wide screen in a wide screen era but Stevens opted for 1.66) but Stevens did an excellent job in adapting to the CinemaScope format.

7. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

The commentary for "I Know What You Did Last Summer" points out an overhead shot that has one thing going on the right side of the screen, while a parade passes by on the left. The DVD includes a pan and scan version, which completely cuts out the left side of this shot, but includes the commentary on both versions. I wonder if anyone at all who would opt to watch the pan and scan version would bother listening to a commentary in the first place.

8. Alistair_M

Alistair_M Second Unit

This is the first review I've seen.

http://www.classicsondvd.com/annefrank.htm

Looks like a good restored transfer and plentiful extras:

Audio commentary by George Stevens, Jr
    "Diary of Anne Frank: Echoes from the Past": a 90 minute documentary which not only covers the making of the film, but also covers the history of the Frank family, including interviews with their descendants and friends.
    "The Diary of Anne Frank" except from "George Stevens: A Filmmaker's Journey"
    George Stevens Press Conference
    Millie Perkins' Screen Test
    Movietone News
    Still Gallery
    Theatrical Trailer
    International Trailer
    Restoration comparison.

Bravo Fox!

9. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug
    i wish the review would say whether it includes the Overture, Intermission and Exit music.